All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seagate barracuda disk st2000dm001 removable disk - no data
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2024, 12:29 

Hello,
we had an usb external hdd that didn't work.This hdd had a seagate barracuda 2000gb disk st2000dm001 f:w;cc48 pcb:100664987revb.
When i went out this disk from its enclosure and connected it with a usb - sata adapter it didn't work also and on the pcb we had a hot spot, so the pcb seemed defectuous.
i ordered a new pcb and operate the replacement of the pcb on the hdd; but with no significant result, in the disk manager we had "removable disk - no data" and in the device manager we had the "usb - sata adapter" as the disks readers...(the hdd being always connected with the usb -sata adapter).
I read on your posts of your forum that we had to swap also the eeproms between the two pcb...
Then we swapped the eeproms between the old and the new pcbs...(these eeproms were pin and voltage compatible) but always with no significant results, the hdd always connected of the same maner (usb -sata adapter)...in the disk manger we had always "removable disk - no data" and in the device manager we had always the "usb - sata adapter" as the disks readers...
tests seatools softwares crashed.
I tryed to connect the hdd inside a desktop directly on a sata interface...but we also get the same result : "removable disk - no data"...
Putting back the hdd (with new pcb and old eeprom) in the original usb enclosure lead to worse results because we had "unknown disk _ uninitialised" in the disk manager...
the first time i used the hdd with the new pcb but before swapping the eeproms it seemed me that the disk spinned...so i dont think that the disk itself is out of order but since i didn't felt the spinning...
is there somebody who can explain me the disfunction of the hdd and can give me some manipulation to do in order to try to resovve this problem?
thank you in advance for your answers.

Post subject: Re: seagate barracuda disk st2000dm001 removable disk - no d
PostPosted: March 27th, 2024, 1:15 

you need to find or build ttl adapter, connect it to hdd and give us what drive will send to terminal when starts.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2024, 8:17 

hello,
Thank you for your answer...
I am going to order a usb to ttl adapter in order to make what you say...https://www.amazon.fr/DSD-TECH-SH-U09C5-Conversion-Charge/dp/B07WX2DSVB
But i need the answer at some questions :
- what voltage must i have to use; as we have eeproms of 1,8v i suppose that the adapter had to use also 1,8v.?
- what software can i use in order to interface between the pc and the adapter in order to drive it?
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Jeanluc.ferre

PostPosted: April 9th, 2024, 15:40 

hello,
i have received the ordered ttl adapter and i had to find the means to connect it with the hdd.
after that When first i powered the disk i saw the following message : "flash boot code checksum failure - SEA4 Boot Rom 2.0 (05/03/2010) - Copyright seagate 2010."
Before after replacing the pcb we had swaped the eeproms between the old and the new pcb on the disk.
Perhaps somebody can explain me why we have this message?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
jeanluc.ferre

PostPosted: April 9th, 2024, 16:48 

Boot ROM is damaged.

I would suggest you read out both ROM's and post them there. Maybe they can be repaired.

I won't post links but this device (if you search on Google) will read out the ROM's:
"ACEIRMC SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip For EEPROM 93CXX / 25CXX / 24CXX + CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB +1.8V Adapter + Soic8 Adapter Programmer Module Kit (1 sets)"

PostPosted: April 11th, 2024, 11:58 

hello,
thank you for your answers and contributions...
after verifying the soldering of the pins of the eeprom, now it works...the drive is detected and i can open its folders and see all the files of the content with the usb-sata interface of the external drive.
Thank you for all.
jeanluc.ferre