Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

wd20earx doesn't detect

March 31st, 2024, 8:23

Good day!

A friend asked me to look at a old hard-disk, to see if it would be possible to recover the data.
So far I took the hard drive out of the external enclosure, and connected it to another SATA to USB adapter.
According to my friend, while the disk was being used and copying data, it just stopped, and never connected again.
I check the PCB, ports etc, everything seems fine, but maybe the experts here could tell me more specific what could be wrong or how to fix it.
Concerning is the startup of the disk, I put a link to the audio if anyone recognizes what the sound might indicate.
http://sndup.net/btnq

The disk doesn't detect in bios or anywhere at all.

I hope I can get this drive to work somehow, my friend would greatly appreciate it as it has old photo's and memories on it.
Attachments
photo_2024-03-31_14-15-53.rotated.jpg

Re: wd20earx doesn't detect

April 1st, 2024, 4:36

The audio file you attached is of terrible quality, but from what I could decipher, the drive sounds perfectly fine.
If the drive doesn't detect, it could be due to a lot of different reasons (relo, bad modules, weak heads, bad sectors), proper diagnostic needs to be done unfortunately.

April 8th, 2024, 23:59

can you attach the ROM for checking?

April 25th, 2024, 4:42

tynsaras wrote:can you attach the ROM for checking?

What do you mean?

April 25th, 2024, 11:12

northwind wrote:The audio file you attached is of terrible quality, but from what I could decipher, the drive sounds perfectly fine.
If the drive doesn't detect, it could be due to a lot of different reasons (relo, bad modules, weak heads, bad sectors, encryption), proper diagnostic needs to be done unfortunately.
Post a reply