Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Desktop Hard disk suggestions May 2024

May 4th, 2024, 8:03

All there manufacturers despite law suites are keen to push only SMR hard disks .
Toshiba Desktop CME models are replaced by SMR .Which brand and model to recommend for end customers who are not keen to go for enterprise disk due to high cost ?
We use to trust Toshiba & its build quality was fairly good with least failures , in decades we have not opted for wd & seagate.
Same is the case with SSD's except few samsung sata models rest are Dram less QLC chinese crap.

Re: Desktop Hard disk suggestions May 2024

May 15th, 2024, 22:27

For end customers not opting for enterprise disks, consider brands like Western Digital's WD Red or Seagate's IronWolf NAS hard drives, which offer reliable performance and compatibility for home and small business use.
Toshiba's P300 series remains a solid choice for affordable desktop storage. Similarly, for SSDs, brands like Samsung, Crucial, and Kingston offer reliable options for various budgets.

May 16th, 2024, 4:40

I wouldn't put money into an IronWolf even if my life depended on it :mrgreen:

May 16th, 2024, 11:16

northwind wrote:I wouldn't put money into an IronWolf even if my life depended on it :mrgreen:

Totally agree, I wouldn't trust Seagate. Too many issues with them SD15, corrupt MC, Rosewoods killing themselves.
That said WD has also (in my opinion) dropped in reliability. Especially their gold drives (specifically the Hitachi ones). We still have old 2013 "Yellow" WD drives that still wrong strong today... And after that CMR to SMR sneak with NAS drives I've lost a lot of respect for them.

Yeah, Toshiba is the way to go right now. However, their warranty process is TERRIBLE.

May 16th, 2024, 12:03

@celemtine writes like an AI bot.
Post a reply