Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

SpyGlass2 Ultra (MCU encr) - problem after partition format

May 7th, 2024, 5:37

Hello everyone,

HDD USB - WD40NDZW-11A8JS0 (SpyGlass2 Ultra) after formatting the partition.
User area is empty (almost same 0)

I have the original USB PCB converted by soldering the SATA connector.
ROM unlocked.
The disk is physically full functional - all SA modules are saved without errors.
After conversion to SATA, the empty partition is visible just like on USB. So there is no encryption involved in USB bypass.
Because it is SpyGlass2 Ultra, the MCU uses its internal encryption associated with the second translator (T2)
So PBA mode is out of the question - just we can try by LBA only.
Without the second translator (in PBA mode) can't finds any signatures (just binary garbage).

Does anyone have an idea how to get to the data after formatting partition in this case (MCU encrypt) ?
I know that in the last update (PC-3000 ver. 7.4.x, ver. 6.4.x) AceLab added this option (after formatting).
Unfortunately, I have a version from a year and a half ago (PC-3000 ver. 7.2.12, DE ver. 6.2.11) and I cannot afford to upgrade at the moment.
Is it possible to do it another way?

Thank you in advance for any information.
Also from anyone who has encountered such a problem.

Regards
Igen

Re: SpyGlass2 Ultra (MCU encr) - problem after partition for

May 7th, 2024, 15:29

i am just cloning one with a linear translator and data is decrypted just fine...

May 7th, 2024, 15:42

I think the OP needs the new version.

May 8th, 2024, 2:43

i wrote myself a tool that produces linear t2... but yep, it seems to be available in pc3k now.

May 10th, 2024, 6:58

pepe wrote:i wrote myself a tool that produces linear t2... but yep, it seems to be available in pc3k now.

Pepe, you wrote that you created a tool for linear T2 addressing.
But - I think - this is what the version I have (7.2.12) does...

A more detailed description of the latest version of PC3K shows that AceLab solved this problem as follows:
In the latest version of PC3K, it is possible now to connect the WD and DE tools (based on PBA access).
Then in DE an additional option of data access (via LBA) was added by recovering (parser node ?) the T2 tarnslator...

P.S. On another thread, Doomer (DigiLab - Russians from Chicago) described that he has been doing such things (for several years).
He suggested not to focus too much on the capabilities of PC3K or MRT...
So - as I understood - it can be done somehow...

May 10th, 2024, 7:41

frankly, i am not sure which version was the first one having it, i am not sure if 7.2.12 had it... but i doubt, that ver is pretty old i think.
WHen i need something not supported (or i don't know about it :D) , i usually build a tool for that
i might be able to help...

May 10th, 2024, 8:30

pepe wrote:frankly, i am not sure which version was the first one having it, i am not sure if 7.2.12 had it... but i doubt, that ver is pretty old i think.
WHen i need something not supported (or i don't know about it :D) , i usually build a tool for that
i might be able to help...

Hi Pepe again...

The PC3K version 7.2.12 from December 8, 22' - released a year and a half ago (which I have) already has this option implemented, I quote:

ADDED the ability to create a translator (module 190) for reading bands when the translator is "lost" (when it is cleared, TRIMmed or when it is a "zeroed" HDD)

https://www.acelab.eu.com/news/the-new- ... e-ver-7212

According to the problem for me is that I cannot (as it is in the latest version) force DE to actively cooperate with the WD tool, which allows me to create an overlay of parsed T2 on the DE connection with the WD tool via PBA...

Regards
Igen

May 10th, 2024, 10:24

reading via pba is not what you need i think, it won't be decrypted as far as i recall

May 10th, 2024, 12:07

pepe wrote:reading via pba is not what you need i think, it won't be decrypted as far as i recall

I think you're right. The old tool used to access PBA on pre encrypted MCUs. With encryption T2 is needed, hence the change to rebuilding T2.
Post a reply