All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REPLACING EEPROM ON THE PCB FROM WD
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2005, 8:48 

Hi,

I need to replace eeprom on the PCB from two WD's. I know, that it can be done by using, for example hot air soldering. But unfortunately I don't have such thing at the moment.

First chip:
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/6387.pdf
Second chip: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod ... oc1440.pdf

Is there any different way do to so, for example by reprogramming contest of the EEPROM by some programmers? I know only one called WILLEM, but I don't know is it able to reprogram this EEPROM's.

Thanks a lot for any advice or infos. :?

DAMON

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2005, 14:35 

Hi,

The M28f102bb needs to be removed from the PCB to reprogram it with an eprom programmer. So it is better to change it. The AT25f1024 may be reprogrammed using a SOIC clip together with a programmer.

But as I read your posts I suppose one of the PCBs contains M28F102BB and the other AT25F1024, right?
if this is the case, I don't think you will get a working board programming one's code into the other since they are using different processors.

regards,
pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2005, 6:43 

Hi pepe,

Thanks for your all answers so far. But I think you didn't understand me in 100% :wink:

I have two different PCB with proper EEPROM as I told before. And you are right, one PCB have M29F102BB, the second one have AT25F1024. BUT I don't want reprogram M29F102BB using contest from AT25F1024 or something like that.

After your post I still don't know two things:

1. Is there any programmer (maybe Willem?) with proper clip to connect to M29F102BB chip and reprogram it instead of change this chip using for example hot air soldering? Can you tell me?

2. You wrote that: "The AT25f1024 may be reprogrammed using a SOIC clip together with a programmer". Is WILLEM able to do this? Maybe any other programmer? Can you give me a name or link?

Thanks a lot pepe for your help! I count for your answer.

DAMON

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2005, 8:31 

Damon wrote:
I have two different PCB with proper EEPROM as I told before. And you are right, one PCB have M29F102BB, the second one have AT25F1024. BUT I don't want reprogram M29F102BB using contest from AT25F1024 or something like that.

This is already written, but look like you don't understand - well we try again

M29F102BB - parallel rom, but AT25F1024 serial rom - so you have completely different board with different mpu.

You can't exchange this boards - they are incompatible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2005, 8:53 

Hi vi,

I understand what pepe has written, but I think you don't understand me.

I don't want to exchange this 2 PCB. I know they are different and came from different models.

OK, let's focus ONLY on the PCB with M29F102BB.

I want only to re-flash it's contest with proper one or change whole chip to another M29F102BB.

Pepe wrote, that "The M29f102bb needs to be removed from the PCB to reprogram it with an eprom programmer. So it is better to change it".

So am I correct, that if I want to reprogram this chip i MUST remove it from PCB and place into programmer or just remove and replace it with another one? Is this mean, that there is no way to reprogram it by connecting some clip together with proper programmer without remove from PCB?

DAMON

DAMON

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2005, 12:20 

Hi,

I use EETools TopMax programmer and a TSOP40 adapter for it.
I don't know willem, so I cannot tell anything.

regards,
pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 7:18 

On the back side of PCBA there are 3 sets of contact pads. One of them is used by WDC to reprogram the flash chip. If you got a suitable header you can do it by yourself. If you don't - find somebody with a hot air gun. Changing flash chips takes less then 5 minutes and is soooo easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 7:45 

BGman wrote:
On the back side of PCBA there are 3 sets of contact pads. One of them is used by WDC to reprogram the flash chip. If you got a suitable header you can do it by yourself. If you don't - find somebody with a hot air gun. Changing flash chips takes less then 5 minutes and is soooo easy.

that's right , is there any in circuit programmer ?
i mean like the J-Tag programmer , this will make it easy to reprogram the flash without desoldering it from the board .
thanks in advance
regards

Post subject: chip
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 11:54 

This sounds like it's what i have to do too. I have got a fried chip on a board from a WD2500JB.

Is it as simple as swapping this chip and the board will come alive again, if so do i need a specific board to take the working chip from.....does it need to be a 2500 or can it be from any of the caviar drives ??

Also if this has blown will any other fuses on the board have gone too ?? could the board be dead ?

Thanks
Minty

Post subject: Re: chip
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 10:03 

cswminty wrote:
This sounds like it's what i have to do too. I have got a fried chip on a board from a WD2500JB.

Is it as simple as swapping this chip and the board will come alive again, if so do i need a specific board to take the working chip from.....does it need to be a 2500 or can it be from any of the caviar drives ??

Also if this has blown will any other fuses on the board have gone too ?? could the board be dead ?

Thanks
Minty

hi
well, as far as i know ..it depends on the chip , if the chip contains software like flash for example , then the new chip should contains the same software version , otherwise it'll not work .
if the chip is doing only electronic jop , like spindel motor driver or RAM chip ,i think it will work normally provided that its compatible and equivalent in jobs and pin to pin to the old chip.
for the other blown parts , yes .. it's true .. u may have an open fuse or resistor or even a bad capacitor that may prevent the board from working again after replacing the blown chip or even it may be the cause for blown the new chip as it did with the old one .
hope this may help or may be someone else will gives u a better advice
Regards