All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD with track zero bad and no MBR
PostPosted: December 26th, 2005, 9:20 

hi all colleagues
first of all , Merry Christmas and happy new year to all of u
i'm new to HDD repair but not working with datarecovery and this question here is one of the most difficult problems to solve for me so, i hope to find an answer here .
every software i've tried to repair the problem of bad MBR fail to read or write to my drive .
if i have a HDD that have a bad track zero or MBR , how can i rewrite a new MBR if i don't have a backup ?or recover from a bad sector @ track zero?
is there any software that may help to solve this problem?
does any one have an english patch for PC3000 russian version to convert to english language?

hope to find any answers
with all the best of luck
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2005, 8:54 

Hello,

U can rebuild the MBR (the partition table) manually, U only need to know the structure of the MBR, partition entries, the structure of boot sectors (usually first sector of a partition) so that U could get the length of that partition and create the entry in the mbr manually.
the first partition usually starts at sector 63, the second will probably start at 63+the length of the first one and so on.

BTW U may purchase the english version of that PC3k from the manufacturer too, so U don't need a patch.

regards,
pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2005, 20:17 

hello pepe
first of all , Merry Christmas and happy new year full of health , wealth and happiness :)
thanks alot for the fast response and to be honest , i've expected that u may be the only one who will respond to my message if any .
coz u r really a nice soul , i've reviewed many posts here and made search before posting but couldn't get the complete detailed answer for my request , while doing so , i saw ur answers and resposes and that's why i've expected u will answer me , so many thanks for all the help and support u try here .
well my dear friend , as i have stated before , i'm totally new to this field and all my work related to electronics and hardware repair not any data recovery , my main work is monitors and power supply repair with some other electronics , so my customers where i live just worry about getting a working drive not the data inside !
i've used many utilities , specially that included in hiren's cd and found this great piece of software MHDD , so i'm just starting to try it and hope to get understand it more .
i have got the PC3000 from the web , but Russian version and didn't use it before as i don't understand one Russian word , moreover English isn't my mother tongue , but my second language .. so , don't expect me to have a good experience in that field but i've already started to collect a very nice info from the web and hope i'll get better understanding later soon.
now , back to my questions and ur answers

Quote:
U can rebuild the MBR (the partition table) manually, U only need to know the structure of the MBR, partition entries, the structure of boot sectors (usually first sector of a partition) so that U could get the length of that partition and create the entry in the mbr manually

can u give me more details or just point me to any web page that explains that and what software could i use in this?
i do really appreciate any help or hints

Quote:
BTW U may purchase the english version of that PC3k from the manufacturer too, so U don't need a patch.

well my friend , if i do really have the price of this software or can affoard it , be sure i'll do , but to be honest i've already written AceLab asking for the price of the english version of this PC3K and the answer was really disappointed , the money they ask for can't be managed even if i worked 24/24 hours for the rest of my life , so forget about it .. and tell me about something easy to get ... i'm sorry ,but this is the truth where i'm living now .
so , i need something simple and prefered free as far as u can help .
one morething i'd like to say here before getting no more answers except sarcasm .. if any one wanna help , i do really appreciate that , if not .. please don't answer and keep quite.
thanks for all and all the best of luck
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2005, 13:33 

Hello,

Sorry, this might disappoint U, but I don't know any SW that would do this job for U automatically. I can find all the info needed on the web, just look for MBR structure and bootrecord structure, or something like that.
U can use any disk editor, I use winhex, it has built in support for some file systems and their structures.
All the info is on the web, but nobody will do the work instead of U.
PC3k has nothing to do with this job however, and I would not like to give any info and help for it on this forum, since I definitely don't like hacked-cracked-stolen stuff. U may read my previous posts in this subject.

I hope U can cope with the problem, winhex is a good piece of code.
regards,
pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 10:14 

hi pepe
thank u very much for trying to help , i've got many good information from the web about the MBR and how it should look like in editing mode , i do have norton disk editor and also winhex , but when trying to rewrite the boot record it says error writing to disk .. even got a backup of the MBR of another HDD of the same model and firmware using some utilities included in hiren cd and tried to restore it to the bad one but couldn't cause it can't write to the bad HDD .. is there any solution for this problem?
thanks in advance
regards