All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Move RAID array from Highpoint to Promise?
PostPosted: May 12th, 2006, 15:23 

This question is actually for my Father's setup.

On Windows XP Pro, he has a mirrored RAID array that was running on an Abit BX133-RAID motherboard with High Point HTP370 IDE Controller acceleration.

The motherboard bit the dust but drives are fine. Also, no critical data on these drives (i.e., he can give something a try and lose data, and there will be no tears). :)

The questions we have are:

1. Does he need to find another BX133-RAID motherboard, or can he use another motherboard with a RAID card, probably a newer card? He can go Slot One or Socket 370. I'd like to get him to possibly go to an AMD64 cpu/motherboard.

2. If he can use a RAID card, must it be Highpoint, or can it be Promise, etc.?

3. If it can be any brand card, any suggestions on what card to get would be appreciated (probably from newegg or zipzoomfly or similar vendor).

My guess (but only a guess):

I only use W2K Pro, but, I believe with XP SP2, at least slipstreamed, he may not even have to go throught the muck of initially loading drivers. Also, I believe XP Pro has a repair option that may also be of help in moving to another motherboard.

Even if he initially has to load drivers, I am guessing that he can use any brand/model RAID card, but may have to use the XP repair option.

Thank you for your comments.