Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

Flash/MicroSD/CF In general Question

February 7th, 2019, 4:58

Dear Experts... (The experts in NAND recoveries)

Sometimes we receive DEFECTED MicroSD, Flashes and CF memories,

The Question here for you guys is this: Why Windows (for example) reads it as 30mb?

Why 30mb?, why not for example 100 or anything else?... (i have few samples of those)

Anyone knows here?

thank you :idea:

Re: Flash/MicroSD/CF In general Question

February 7th, 2019, 9:16

I always presumed it was the size of the controller, but maybe not. That is a good question.

February 7th, 2019, 10:30

ddrecovery wrote:I always presumed it was the size of the controller, but maybe not. That is a good question.

I thought about that, but really 30mb or 100mb of data(instructions) inside the controller is really Huge amount of data (for single flash/mem)

i really cannot find a Tech. Doc. talking about this thats why posted it here...

Maybe one of those knows Sasha/Sergey/Michal i don`t know

still waiting for others opinion but Thx for bringing this here.. :wink:

February 7th, 2019, 18:37

Had Kingston MicroSD show 31Mb. I have repartitioned some before with this issue and they appeared to work ok after... but I would never use a MicroSD for anything after any time of issue like this. I would hazard a guess that part of the partition table has been corrupted, probably due to degrading NAND, and windows interprets wrong. being SD, it could be a secure digital partition is showing while the normal user partition is gone. Never seen this on anything other than MicroSD cards.

February 7th, 2019, 19:05

HaQue wrote:Had Kingston MicroSD show 31Mb. I have repartitioned some before with this issue and they appeared to work ok after... but I would never use a MicroSD for anything after any time of issue like this. I would hazard a guess that part of the partition table has been corrupted, probably due to degrading NAND, and windows interprets wrong. being SD, it could be a secure digital partition is showing while the normal user partition is gone. Never seen this on anything other than MicroSD cards.

I have also seen quite a few standard flash drives with 30mb(ish). When looking at the data in hex it is either all 00 00 or FF FF.

February 24th, 2019, 11:09

And sometimes it is 2TB...on average non-fake 8GB MSD
Post a reply