All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dolphin adaptor for Apple A1708 SSD
PostPosted: March 31st, 2023, 14:20 

Does anyone have this adaptor? If so, would they be willing to try a simple, safe, no-cost modification to allow it to support those SSDs with the "big inductor at the top left"?

https://www.dolphindatalab.com/product/macbook-pro-a1708-pcie-ssd-recovery-adapter-smart/

If anyone has the other SSD (small inductors), would they be willing to post photos of the innards?

Post subject: Re: Dolphin adaptor for Apple A1708 SSD
PostPosted: April 1st, 2023, 17:42 

I have collated some information on this SSD and the various adaptors:

https://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=3252

PostPosted: April 4th, 2023, 16:41 

I have it. Let me know how i can help you.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2023, 16:52 

I contacted Dolphin and asked them if connecting an external 12V supply to pins 1, 2 and 3 of the adaptor would enable it to work with the "big inductor" SSD. They said it wouldn't work. :-(

Ace's adaptor is very clever. It uses pins 1 and 2 of the SATA power connector (these pins are "reserved" or unused) to control the SSD via I2C. When the SSD becomes unresponsive, Ace's Portable can toggle the SSD's hardware reset pin(s). I doubt that Dolphin's adaptor is able to do this, but a look inside the metal can would be very useful. Also, a photo of both sides of the m.2 adaptor would provide a lot of clues, too.

I think Ace's Portable might be able to control other devices via pins 1 and 2. I expect that the unit either has a dedicated I2C host controller, or perhaps Ace bitbangs a couple of GPIO pins to simulate an I2C port.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2023, 11:26 

fzabkar wrote:
I contacted Dolphin and asked them if connecting an external 12V supply to pins 1, 2 and 3 of the adaptor would enable it to work with the "big inductor" SSD. They said it wouldn't work. :-(

Ace's adaptor is very clever. It uses pins 1 and 2 of the SATA power connector (these pins are "reserved" or unused) to control the SSD via I2C. When the SSD becomes unresponsive, Ace's Portable can toggle the SSD's hardware reset pin(s). I doubt that Dolphin's adaptor is able to do this, but a look inside the metal can would be very useful. Also, a photo of both sides of the m.2 adaptor would provide a lot of clues, too.

I think Ace's Portable might be able to control other devices via pins 1 and 2. I expect that the unit either has a dedicated I2C host controller, or perhaps Ace bitbangs a couple of GPIO pins to simulate an I2C port.

U1 is the 53rd and 55th pins that NB3N3002DTG connects to the M.2 interface, used as an external clock generator for PCIE host. U2 is TCA9534PWR, an 8-bit expansion chip from Texas Instruments that expands to 16 bits of I/O, used to distinguish whether the hard drive inserted into the interface is using SATA or NVME protocol. Power on/off control is handled by the P3 Portable host. As for determining whether SSDs are frozen, I think it should not be a hardware issue with the converter but rather a status register in either NVME or SATA protocol.

Attachments:
P3_A.png
P3_A.png [ 93.26 KiB | Viewed 2932 times ]
P3_nvme.png
P3_nvme.png [ 107.4 KiB | Viewed 2932 times ]

PostPosted: April 6th, 2023, 12:39 

csava wrote:
U1 is the 53rd and 55th pins that NB3N3002DTG connects to the M.2 interface, used as an external clock generator for PCIE host. U2 is TCA9534PWR, an 8-bit expansion chip from Texas Instruments that expands to 16 bits of I/O, used to distinguish whether the hard drive inserted into the interface is using SATA or NVME protocol. Power on/off control is handled by the P3 Portable host. As for determining whether SSDs are frozen, I think it should not be a hardware issue with the converter but rather a status register in either NVME or SATA protocol.

Thanks, but that's a different adaptor.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2023, 17:29 

suricate.ch wrote:

Can you show us photos of the m.2 adaptor and a photo of the inside of the metal can?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2023, 1:24 

fzabkar wrote:
suricate.ch wrote:

Can you show us photos of the m.2 adaptor and a photo of the inside of the metal can?

make your own adapter :D

Attachments:
SSD.png
SSD.png [ 232.69 KiB | Viewed 2675 times ]
A1780.rar [5.84 MiB]
Downloaded 92 times

PostPosted: April 10th, 2023, 13:01 

Thanks. I have already collated the same information at my HDD Oracle thread.