All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SanDisk Ultra II not detected (data recovery options?)
PostPosted: November 5th, 2016, 7:16 

Hey,

My 960GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD just died... it was working perfectly, I put the laptop into sleep mode, then when I woke it the next day, the system locked up. I held the button to shut it off, and when I turned it on, the drive wasn't detected. This same thing has happened a couple times in the past, and has always snapped out of it after a few reboots, but it doesn't seem to be coming out of it this time. From my understanding, it has the Marvell 88SS9189 controller (I haven't opened it to confirm).

The system can tell that the drive exists, but the BIOS shows EMPTY EMPTY EMPTY, where it normally shows MFR, model, etc. If the drive is disconnected, it shows nothing at all (not even EMPTY). Also, if I connect it to a Linux box and check dmesg, I get:
link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

Has anyone diagnosed a problem like this before? Any ideas of a possible solution (at least to recover data)?

I don't have a LOT of data on there (nothing critical), but there's some stuff I'd like to get if possible (I made a backup a couple months ago, but I can't find it :-/ ). This forum seems to be one of the few places that actually digs deep into drive recovery, so I figured I'd ask here. Mainly I'm looking for some advice on possible/probable problem. The drive is still under warranty, so I'd rather not open it up if I'm extremely unlikely to find anything. But if a blown polyfuse, shorted FET, or something along those lines is a common cause of a problem like this, I'd take the risk.

Background on me: I'm an electrical engineer, comfortable soldering tiny components (including BGAs) under a microscope. Familiar with dumping flash chips, hex editors, etc. I've recovered a dozen or so rotating drives over the years, but SSDs are new to me.

Thanks,
Pat

Post subject: Re: SanDisk Ultra II not detected (data recovery options?)
PostPosted: November 5th, 2016, 11:36 

Check your model - is it SDSSDHII-960G ? If yes, there is Marvell 88SS1074-BSW2 - not supported yet by any hardware/software solution. Extracting data from this chip could be problem (I do not know anyone who did it). Probably you must wait for solution.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2016, 13:49 

Ah... yes, it's SDSSDHII-960G (bought in November of 2015). From your experience, is an SSD that's not detected in the BIOS, but seems to at least partially attempt to communicate over SATA an internal flash problem, not a physical component problem? I was just thinking that since it failed coming out of sleep, maybe it was the inrush current of the power on damaging a component... though since the same symptoms had happened a couple times previous to that (which it recovered from by itself after a few tries), maybe not.

I saw someone else had a nearly identical situation as me, posted on SanDisk's forums: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Ul ... d-p/355166 (meat5000: "Got mine in Black Friday sale last year and it died just a few days ago, waking from sleep").

Also, I noticed that SanDisk recommends Kroll Ontrack and DriveSavers ( http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detai ... rives-(ssd) )... I assume the "official" recommendation doesn't mean that they have any more advanced tools/proprietary information for recovery?

Thanks,
Pat

PostPosted: November 5th, 2016, 22:41 

I did some digging... I'm pretty sure mine is identical to the one seen here: http://www.golem.de/news/sandisk-ultra- ... 18941.html , which has an 88SS9189 controller (you can see it in image 21 and 23). If that's the case, is there a known recovery method for that controller, or does anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting a model with that controller?

Thanks,
Pat

PostPosted: November 6th, 2016, 3:13 

DogP wrote:
Also, I noticed that SanDisk recommends Kroll Ontrack and DriveSavers ( http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detai ... rives-(ssd) )... I assume the "official" recommendation doesn't mean that they have any more advanced tools/proprietary information for recovery?

100% true ;)

Maybe your drive has other controller, case which I had works on Marvell 88SS1074-BSW2.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 13:04 

I have a SDSSDHII-960G also with controller 88SS1074-BSW2 stays BSY in PC3K.

Also have a SDSSDHII-480G also with controller 88S1074-BSW2 with same issue.

Has anyone found any method to recovery for this drive?

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 8:55 

This is exactly where I got this SSD( black Friday deal). I saw so many posts about the same issue happening recently. I think they sold us products with deficits. All they can do is to replace the drive but I dont want another shit SSD again.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2023, 13:11 

Hello,
Carefully check all the capacitors, I found one in short circuit.
Greetings.

Attachments:
Snapshot@2023_0528_195610.jpg
Snapshot@2023_0528_195610.jpg [ 90.18 KiB | Viewed 2784 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 475.87 KiB | Viewed 2784 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 441.03 KiB | Viewed 2784 times ]