All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sandisk Extreme 16gig compact flsh
PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 2:45 

Hi everyone,

For the past couple of years I have been doing simple data recovery for friends and family. Using software such as data rescue III and this year Testdisk and its counter part the photo recovery app. I am going for my bachelor degree in computer science and a specialization in computer forensics and I was just presented a challenge that is beyond my current skill level.

The card when plugged into my cheapo targus reader nothing happens on the computer but if I switch to another port I can sometimes get the light on the reader to sporadically blink and if I rush into testdisk which goes very slow it will reqognize the device but no partitions and If I select unknown file type it shows a partition but If I try to analyse the light on the reader goes constant and the device is no longer readable.

I have been researching and wanted to know if there is another step I can take before having to desolder the chips? I just find it strange that is sporatically has some communication with the computer/ also I get a better response being in a linux enviroment 9 (ubunto). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And I already know about sending away for around 300 bucks to get it recovered but I want to learn to do it myself as the client is in no rush and the data is not that important.

Post subject: Re: Sandisk Extreme 16gig compact flsh
PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 4:18 

Hello Brett, it will be easier to help you if you gives us more details about the device, what type of card, controller markings, nand markings, and pictures if possible.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 14:55 

The controller :

20-82-00309 3

S230-ncp361.0000

Sdc1

NAND :

S23131242

Sdtnnmbhsm-008g

Wsc7090165SS

I'll have photos tonight
Thanks

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 17:02 

You have lucky, this controller don't crypt data.
First of all try make copy 1:1. If it is not possible probably only way to recover is desolder nand.