Lexar USB stick wrong capacity - need diagnosis advice
Posted: July 15th, 2013, 8:23
Dear Gurus
I have in my hands a USB memory stick from Lexar (4GB). Which used to work but no more.
When I plug-in to Windows (XP SP3), it is recognised and mounted (even assigned a letter) but no partition is available.
I tried to 'raw copy' with HDDGuru Raw copy utility to image file (so I can then scan it for files with raw scanning tools). The HDDGuru Raw copy utility sees the memory stick as 5,5 KB capacity (11 LBAs).
When it copies the images, it just creates a few Kbytes file which actually is filled with zeros.
I have tried also to raw copy using linux dd command:
The memory stick is recognized as device under /dev/sdb (again no partitions)
command:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/root/recovery.img
produces an error or reading from /dev/sdb device.
Any idea, what else I can try with software tools?
or I'm start looking into electronics parts problems? any suggestions there as next steps?
Thank you very much in advance
KC
I have in my hands a USB memory stick from Lexar (4GB). Which used to work but no more.
When I plug-in to Windows (XP SP3), it is recognised and mounted (even assigned a letter) but no partition is available.
I tried to 'raw copy' with HDDGuru Raw copy utility to image file (so I can then scan it for files with raw scanning tools). The HDDGuru Raw copy utility sees the memory stick as 5,5 KB capacity (11 LBAs).
When it copies the images, it just creates a few Kbytes file which actually is filled with zeros.
I have tried also to raw copy using linux dd command:
The memory stick is recognized as device under /dev/sdb (again no partitions)
command:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/root/recovery.img
produces an error or reading from /dev/sdb device.
Any idea, what else I can try with software tools?
or I'm start looking into electronics parts problems? any suggestions there as next steps?
Thank you very much in advance
KC