Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

sandforce

April 8th, 2015, 21:12

I need to buy 40 SSDs to revamp an Edu site. I was looking at specs and saw this:

Our SSD performance specification is based on the ATTO benchmark, which demonstrates the sequential
read and write capabilities of our drives using the LSI SandForce® controller; what is absent from these
numbers and not often captured in benchmarks is the effectiveness of the underlying LSI SandForce
DuraWrite™ technology. The DuraWrite architecture was designed to extend the life of the NAND used within
Kingston® SSDs. It does this by using unique algorithms that reduce the amount of data written to the SSDs
Flash memory cells, thus extending NAND and SSD life.

In general recoveries of flash, we rely on being able to identify the data to figure out wear levelling and whitening. So if the data has been optimized/reduced, and this is some kind of de-dupe or compression, this is going to make it pretty hard to reverse engineer for DR purposes.

The other meaning of reducing writes could be that the controller caches a lot, does many changes in RAM only, and writes the result back to the NAND cells less times, so you would actually have the data on the drive. this could result in slightly more data loss when the drive dies, but not be as catastrophic.

Sandforce I think don't do a drive anymore where there is no encryption, so these points are moot and I wouldn't personally buy a Sandforce based SSD anyway.

DR on SSDs is going to be no walk in the park!
Post a reply