HDD GURU FORUMS
http://forum.hddguru.com/

Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question
http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32431
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Amarbir[CDR-Labs] [ December 3rd, 2015, 12:15 ]
Post subject:  Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

Hello ,
I Am Having a Tough Time Arranging Preferred Grit Size Paper For Removing Coating On Monoliths .Could You Please Send Me Some Of Your Preferred Numbers .Really Appreciate That So That i Can Retry Again Tomorrow

Author:  ddrecovery [ December 3rd, 2015, 12:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

Amarbir wrote:
Hello ,
I Am Having a Tough Time Arranging Preferred Grit Size Paper For Removing Coating On Monoliths .Could You Please Send Me Some Of Your Preferred Numbers .Really Appreciate That So That i Can Retry Again Tomorrow

I completed the Ace Labs Flash training class a little while ago, and they were recommending 1200, then 2000, then 2500 grit. I have found this is supplied by a lot of jewelry suppliers.

Author:  Amarbir[CDR-Labs] [ December 3rd, 2015, 13:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

ddrecovery wrote:
Amarbir wrote:
Hello ,
I Am Having a Tough Time Arranging Preferred Grit Size Paper For Removing Coating On Monoliths .Could You Please Send Me Some Of Your Preferred Numbers .Really Appreciate That So That i Can Retry Again Tomorrow

I completed the Ace Labs Flash training class a little while ago, and they were recommending 1200, then 2000, then 2500 grit. I have found this is supplied by a lot of jewelry suppliers.


Hi Boss ,
I Only Found 1000 and 2000 today will ask them for 1200 and 2500 also tomorrow

Author:  HaQue [ December 3rd, 2015, 15:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

I use just 1200. but what about the fibreglass scratch pen? you are only removing the coating..

Author:  jeremyb [ December 3rd, 2015, 16:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

Use a high pressure water jet, you can dial in the specific pressure you want, other solutions are a dremel on a CNC machine. Some use 100-300 grit sandpaper, but I don't recommend.. you have many options. CNC + Dremel is the best IMHO at ~$250-$300. You can also experiment with different varnish removers, see which ones work in your locality.

HaQue wrote:
I use just 1200. but what about the fibreglass scratch pen? you are only removing the coating..

Fiberglass anything scares me

ddrecovery wrote:
I completed the Ace Labs Flash training class a little while ago, and they were recommending 1200, then 2000, then 2500 grit. I have found this is supplied by a lot of jewelry suppliers.
I'll mail you a monolithic, compare it to ace and tell me what you think ;-)
One of the many reasons I laugh when Ace Labs says they are skilled in monolithics..

Author:  HaQue [ December 3rd, 2015, 18:57 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

Really, you just need to get down to the copper and have it clean enough to solder to. you don't even need to clean the whole thing off.

wet and dry sandpaper is what is used to prepare cars for re-spraying. available at any hardware or auto parts shop

Author:  jeremyb [ December 3rd, 2015, 19:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

HaQue wrote:
Really, you just need to get down to the copper and have it clean enough to solder to. you don't even need to clean the whole thing off.

You don't recommend removing the PCB and soldering directly to the wire bonds? It's less trouble than figuring out pin-outs..

Author:  HaQue [ December 3rd, 2015, 21:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

I think I know what you mean, and this is the general idea for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Author:  jeremyb [ December 3rd, 2015, 23:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

HaQue wrote:
I think I know what you mean, and this is the general idea for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

That was the basic idea..

How about Sand blasting?
http://components.about.com/od/Design/a ... r-Mask.htm

Author:  HaQue [ December 4th, 2015, 0:28 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

jeremyb wrote:
HaQue wrote:
I think I know what you mean, and this is the general idea for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

That was the basic idea..

How about Sand blasting?
http://components.about.com/od/Design/a ... r-Mask.htm


Quote:
The downside to microblastic systems is the generation of static electricity which can destroy ESD sensitive components on the circuit board

Author:  Amarbir[CDR-Labs] [ December 4th, 2015, 4:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

Hi Everyone ,
Thanks For Some Inputs By All Of You .

Author:  digisupport [ December 9th, 2015, 17:51 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

+1 for fiberglass pen - always works great :)

Author:  data-medics [ December 9th, 2015, 19:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

This does look like it would work well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjvrDCktpw

I don't do monoliths, but it seems to clean up a pcb pretty easily.

Author:  jermy [ December 9th, 2015, 20:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

@data-medics this is a fiberglass pen

Author:  HaQue [ December 9th, 2015, 22:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sandpaper [ Emery Paper ] - Grit Size Question

And the video is by Joe grand - he does some cool stuff like making the defcon badges, and JTAGulator.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/