| HDD GURU FORUMS http://forum.hddguru.com/ |
|
| PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33073 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | pcimage [ March 11th, 2016, 14:34 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
I think you should be fine to tap wires into the top of the "2R2" resistor for +3v, the right side of the two small black resistors for the data lines and any ground point. |
|
| Author: | jeremyb [ March 11th, 2016, 22:14 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
I don't see a problem, looks pretty easy to me. Maybe check that Vcc and Vss aren't shorted. |
|
| Author: | Amarbir[CDR-Labs] [ March 12th, 2016, 10:46 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
ddrecovery wrote: We received this flash drive yesterday. We chose to complete a chip off due to the damage to the board, however the data is encrypted. We therefore need to try and access the data via the board. The 4 connections chip side of the break look fairly straightforward to use, however its the damage to the board to the right of 2R2 that concerns me. Do you think this is recoverable? Any advice on how to handle the damage. Hi , Easy But Will Take Time .I did Something Like This Few Months Back -> http://forum.acelaboratory.com/viewtopi ... 234&t=8726 |
|
| Author: | HaQue [ March 12th, 2016, 11:34 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
unless it is a 4 layer board, then you have your work cut out |
|
| Author: | Amarbir[CDR-Labs] [ March 12th, 2016, 11:42 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
HaQue wrote: unless it is a 4 layer board, then you have your work cut out Well, Even if It Is Its Not Broken From a Place Where Reconstruction is Very Hard |
|
| Author: | jeremyb [ March 12th, 2016, 15:02 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
I'm kind of interested to see what controller is being used.. also a picture of the back side of the PCB. If there are any SMD's or errant vias/traces it could complicate things. It looks like a 4 layer PCB to me that's why I suggested checking for continuity before plugging it in.. don't want the magic smoke to escape. |
|
| Author: | ddrecovery [ March 14th, 2016, 13:02 ] | ||
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed | ||
jeremyb wrote: I'm kind of interested to see what controller is being used.. also a picture of the back side of the PCB. If there are any SMD's or errant vias/traces it could complicate things. It looks like a 4 layer PCB to me that's why I suggested checking for continuity before plugging it in.. don't want the magic smoke to escape. Sorry for the late response, been laid up with a cold for the last couple of days. Here is the back of the board. It looks perfectly okay which is good news. Controller chip is SM3255EN Q AA. As you know I am learning this advanced stuff (even though you say its easy
|
|||
| Author: | data-medics [ March 14th, 2016, 13:08 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
Look closely at the four traces going from the USB contacts and see where they connect to. You can use an exact-o-knife to scrape up the green coating over the trace to make a contact point for yourself that you can then solder a small wire onto to jumper it. Worst case it should take a couple hours of working with it to get it working, unless it's multilayered, but it doesn't look like it is. If you want, I'll do it for $300. |
|
| Author: | ddrecovery [ March 14th, 2016, 13:15 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
data-medics wrote: Look closely at the four traces going from the USB contacts and see where they connect to. You can use an exact-o-knife to scrape up the green coating over the trace to make a contact point for yourself that you can then solder a small wire onto to jumper it. Worst case it should take a couple hours of working with it to get it working, unless it's multilayered, but it doesn't look like it is. If you want, I'll do it for $300. I have done several of these types of recoveries with jumper wires, but this is a little different. It does look like a multi-layered board. I tried doing what pcimage suggested but there was still no power to the board. I think an in-depth knowledge of electronics is needed. Not a skill I have (yet). |
|
| Author: | arvika [ March 14th, 2016, 16:44 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
SM3255EN Q AA do not crypt data. This case is 5 minutes job |
|
| Author: | HaQue [ March 14th, 2016, 17:16 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
Agree with Arvika - chip off recovery best option. As it is physical damage, the issues that usually complicate chip-off recovery should not exist. |
|
| Author: | ddrecovery [ March 14th, 2016, 17:23 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
HaQue wrote: Agree with Arvika - chip off recovery best option. As it is physical damage, the issues that usually complicate chip-off recovery should not exist. arvika wrote: SM3255EN Q AA do not crypt data. This case is 5 minutes job Hi Guys We completed a chip off first due to the damage, but could not resolve the case. Ace Labs support logged in to help and said the chip was encrypted. |
|
| Author: | HaQue [ March 14th, 2016, 17:59 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
outsource to Arvika would be my recommendation. also, sometimes a mix consisting of first step Join by byte can look like encryption because of the high entropy. |
|
| Author: | jeremyb [ March 14th, 2016, 19:26 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
ddrecovery wrote: Jeremy if you want this I can send it to you. Then you wouldn't learn anything My personal advice.. get the following tools: 10x (I use 20x) microscope off Amazon (not a camera) Attach some 32-40AWG Teflon coated solid wire to a USB connector Some "real" tweezers (eg: Wiha), not cheap garbage A small chisel soldering tip. A multimeter with continuity testing. Make sure +5 and GND aren't shorted.. if it is shorted try cleaning up the copper layer in the middle.. proceed from there. Other options include a donor PCB board, I'm sure HaQue has one in his museum of donors. Sometimes you can get away without an "exact" match, I'll usually compare PCB designs or swap both the controller and NAND chip if the PCB is a match.. Note: some controllers use resistors (usually beside each other) to enable/disable some NAND chips so you may need to copy that configuration. |
|
| Author: | arvika [ March 15th, 2016, 3:38 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
If this flash is crypted it would be strange. Maybe user use some program to crypt data? I never meet SM controllers with crypt option. It would be nice look at dump. If you are able share it let me know via PM. |
|
| Author: | ddrecovery [ March 15th, 2016, 12:10 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
jeremyb wrote: ddrecovery wrote: Jeremy if you want this I can send it to you. Then you wouldn't learn anything My personal advice.. get the following tools: 10x (I use 20x) microscope off Amazon (not a camera) Attach some 32-40AWG Teflon coated solid wire to a USB connector Some "real" tweezers (eg: Wiha), not cheap garbage A small chisel soldering tip. A multimeter with continuity testing. Make sure +5 and GND aren't shorted.. if it is shorted try cleaning up the copper layer in the middle.. proceed from there. Other options include a donor PCB board, I'm sure HaQue has one in his museum of donors. Sometimes you can get away without an "exact" match, I'll usually compare PCB designs or swap both the controller and NAND chip if the PCB is a match.. Note: some controllers use resistors (usually beside each other) to enable/disable some NAND chips so you may need to copy that configuration. I have everything you detail above, it just knowledge I lack. Thanks for the additional advice. Will try what you suggest. |
|
| Author: | ddrecovery [ March 15th, 2016, 12:11 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
arvika wrote: If this flash is crypted it would be strange. Maybe user use some program to crypt data? I never meet SM controllers with crypt option. It would be nice look at dump. If you are able share it let me know via PM. Thanks for the offer, I will knuckle down and do some more work (as instructed by Jeremy |
|
| Author: | hdd2fix [ March 17th, 2016, 14:18 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PNY Circuit Board Damage Advice Needed |
ddrecovery wrote: Thanks for the offer, I will knuckle down and do some more work (as instructed by Jeremy So interested to see continue. Encrypted or, not to be, that is the question. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|