Page 1 of 1

Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 12th, 2017, 5:03
by speakerbox
Can I just replace the controller with another one?

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 12th, 2017, 9:57
by HaQue
not unless you also have the Toshiba tools and software to setup the controller on the board to the NAND chips.
It is Sandforce based, so chip off is also probably out of the question.

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 12th, 2017, 17:14
by speakerbox
Are you kidding, not even chip-off :(

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 12th, 2017, 17:33
by fzabkar
If necessary, I can help you to confirm the voltage measurements for the DC-DC converters.

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 13th, 2017, 16:04
by speakerbox
I pulled off the controller as it was burning like hell, hoping I could swap another one from another 256gb Macbook Air SSD...

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 13th, 2017, 16:48
by labtech
speakerbox wrote:I pulled off the controller as it was burning like hell, hoping I could swap another one from another 256gb Macbook Air SSD...

Have a pic?

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 13th, 2017, 21:35
by HaQue
IMHO, worth trying as I see no other solution. Though chances extremely low.

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 14th, 2017, 0:37
by Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
speakerbox wrote:I pulled off the controller as it was burning like hell, hoping I could swap another one from another 256gb Macbook Air SSD...


Well,
In My experience while i used to repair desktop and laptop motherboards to chip level sometimes due to a DC - DC supply section component short the IC can burn like hell ,You panicked and yanked it of the board without confirming that ,This is not a good idea imho .

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: August 14th, 2017, 12:26
by speakerbox
Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
speakerbox wrote:I pulled off the controller as it was burning like hell, hoping I could swap another one from another 256gb Macbook Air SSD...


Well,
In My experience while i used to repair desktop and laptop motherboards to chip level sometimes due to a DC - DC supply section component short the IC can burn like hell ,You panicked and yanked it of the board without confirming that ,This is not a good idea imho .


There was a short in the line and it was the controller itself, sorry about not mentioning that. I checked yes.

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: September 2nd, 2020, 19:06
by mvajdi
Hi speakerbox,

I was searching for help to fix a MacBook Air SSD, Samsung controller chip and your 2017 above topic came up. How was your experience , was it successful at the end?

It seems replacing the controller chip with another one from same type and series SSD board does not solve the problem and the controller chip needs to be setup as the data on the memory chips are encrypted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mehdi

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: September 20th, 2020, 15:31
by mvajdi
Hi speakerbox,

I was searching for help to fix a MacBook Air SSD, Samsung controller chip and your 2017 above topic came up. How was your experience , was it successful at the end?

It seems replacing the controller chip with another one from same type and series SSD board does not solve the problem and the controller chip needs to be setup as the data on the memory chips are encrypted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mehdi

Re: Macbook Air Toshiba SSD, shorted controller T6UG1XBG

Posted: September 21st, 2020, 12:08
by gold6565
mvajdi wrote:Hi speakerbox,

I was searching for help to fix a MacBook Air SSD, Samsung controller chip and your 2017 above topic came up. How was your experience , was it successful at the end?

It seems replacing the controller chip with another one from same type and series SSD board does not solve the problem and the controller chip needs to be setup as the data on the memory chips are encrypted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mehdi

If you have a burned-out controller on a Samsung SSD, replacing the chip will help you get your data back.