All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Samsung SSD 850 EVO
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2019, 4:47 

Then hot adding the SSD disk

[ 382.097821] ata5: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
[ 382.098107] ata5.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:00 (SECURITY FREEZE LOCK) filtered out
[ 387.269789] ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x27)
[ 387.269799] ata5.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x4)
[ 387.269800] ata5.00: HPA support seems broken, skipping HPA handling
[ 392.621743] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[ 397.305726] ata5: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
[ 402.657695] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[ 407.337666] ata5: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
[ 412.689633] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[ 442.357439] ata5: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
[ 442.357448] ata5: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
[ 447.409414] ata5: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
[ 447.409423] ata5: reset failed, giving up

PostPosted: April 27th, 2020, 13:01 

bital wrote:
sourcerer wrote:
The EVO 840 (predecessor of your model) provides a SAFE mode where you can also do a firmware update through SATA.
(The third method is theoretically through the UART interface, but it's too unstable to be usable)
Additionally we developed a firmware update method through JTAG.

You might be interested in trying my SSD diagnostic tool https://github.com/thesourcerer8/SSDdiag , it has not been ported to EVO850 yet, but it might give some insight anyway, since most of the hardware in the controller is still the same.

I'm having:
SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 1TB, still able to boot in SAFE MODE with FIRMWARE: UNKNOWN
SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 120GB, in good standing with FIRMWARE: EXT0DB6Q

SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 120GB, EXT0DB6Q, I was able to upgrade from EXT0BB6Q to EXT0DB6Q by this command in REGULAR MODE
Code:
hdparm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive --fwdownload EXT0DB6Q /dev/sda

so, the process is kind of working to upgrade the firmware, while I'm trying to move from EXT0DB6Q to EXT0BB6Q back it gives me this kind of error:
Code:
hdparm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive --fwdownload EXT0BB6Q /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
fwdownload: xfer_mode=3 min=1 max=2048 size=512
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 04 51 e0 00 21 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
. Done.

I'm trying to upgrade SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 1TB, still able to boot in SAFE MODE with FIRMWARE: UNKNOWN to EXT0BB6Q or EXT0DB6Q with the same result of sda hanging and not answering anymore forcing to shut down by holding power for 5 sec
I have this message and stuck
Code:
/dev/sda:
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ordered Altera USB Blaster cable...

Any ideas?

I haw got also: SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 1TB, still able to boot in SAFE MODE with FIRMWARE: UNKNOWN, serial number 0000000000
SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 750GB still able to boot in SAFE MODE with FIRMWARE: UNKNOWN, serial number 0000000000
and I have almost the same proble. I haven't been done result with HDPARM fwupgrade. What about your results? Have you ever used jtag and Altera usb blaster?

PostPosted: April 27th, 2020, 13:20 

[quote="sourcerer"]The EVO 840 (predecessor of your model) provides a SAFE mode where you can also do a firmware update through SATA.
(The third method is theoretically through the UART interface, but it's too unstable to be usable)
Can you tell me more about JTAG method? I have Altera usb blaster but I have not fined information yet how to use it practically.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2020, 16:52 

trying to repair a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB.
checked voltages, they seem ok, with the only mention that the 1.1 voltage reads 1.0v.

When I short the safe mode pins, the drive appears after some time, but not as a 500MB drive. It just appears in Disk Management. Magician doesn't see it.
In device manager it there is something about it, I uploaded the details from there.

I just want to have the drive working again, don't care about the data. I found a 500GB 85 EVO, that is recognized in windows, but is unable to copy on it (or at least that's what the seller is telling)
Can I swap the controller from 500GB to 2TB drive? Any chance to work ? Or should I try to hot swap and maybe Magician can write the firmware?

Attachments:
samsung.jpg
samsung.jpg [ 270.21 KiB | Viewed 15733 times ]

PostPosted: August 7th, 2020, 10:11 

no chance that will work. I wouldn't trust the drive again even if you were to somehow get it going. Is it under warranty?

PostPosted: August 7th, 2020, 15:58 

no it's not under warranty, because if it were....
why don't trust it? I don't understand? even if I replace the controller BGA chip ?

PostPosted: August 9th, 2020, 21:14 

ESPECIALLY if you replace the controller BGA chip.

unless you can diagnose EXACTLY why it is faulty, you are just guessing. lets say a capacitor was bad and it somehow killed the controller over time. you replace controller and it works. If you don't know exactly what was wrong, how can you be sure you have fixed it?

working =! fixed

PostPosted: September 8th, 2020, 17:31 

you are right.

then maybe another option is to swap the memory chips to a board with another controller. I found some on aliexpress. Anyone knows something about their quality ? are their controllers fast enough ?

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 8:35 

Hi all, anyone knows of safe mode for nvme drives ? 960 EVO in particular.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2021, 8:31 

bital wrote:
sourcerer wrote:
The EVO 840 (predecessor of your model) provides a SAFE mode where you can also do a firmware update through SATA.

You might be interested in trying my SSD diagnostic tool https://github.com/thesourcerer8/SSDdiag , it has not been ported to EVO850 yet, but it might give some insight anyway, since most of the hardware in the controller is still the same.

I'm having:
SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 1TB, still able to boot in SAFE MODE with FIRMWARE: UNKNOWN
SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 120GB, in good standing with FIRMWARE: EXT0DB6Q

SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 120GB, EXT0DB6Q, I was able to upgrade from EXT0BB6Q to EXT0DB6Q by this command in REGULAR MODE
Code:
hdparm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive --fwdownload EXT0DB6Q /dev/sda

so, the process is kind of working to upgrade the firmware, while I'm trying to move from EXT0DB6Q to EXT0BB6Q back it gives me this kind of error:
Code:
hdparm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive --fwdownload EXT0BB6Q /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 04 51 e0 00 21 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
. Done.

I'm trying to upgrade SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 1TB, still able to boot in SAFE MODE with FIRMWARE: UNKNOWN to EXT0BB6Q or EXT0DB6Q with the same result of sda hanging and not answering anymore forcing to shut down by holding power for 5 sec
I have this message and stuck
Code:
/dev/sda:
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ordered Altera USB Blaster cable...

Any ideas?

Try to use --fwdownload-mode7 instead of default mode3