Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

MZ-FLV5120 Surface Pro 4

February 22nd, 2021, 17:00

Hi,

Anyone has experience with this NVME Samsung MZ-FLV5120. Surface Pro 4 fail to boot. I took it out. When plugged to W10, it will ask for Bitlocker key (I can enter the key, press "unlock" but nothing, it's like I am not pressing "unlock" button) everything work on PC but if I try to do anything (open bitlocker from control panel) it will fail. Then after a while I will get "USB device not recognized by PC..."

Thanks
Sam

Re: MZ-FLV5120 Surface Pro 4

February 23rd, 2021, 19:05

try cloning it first, then work on the clone. You never know when these things say goodbye.
Do you have recovery key and key ID?

pepe

February 25th, 2021, 17:52

The problem is I can't clone it as it always hangs after 1 min. Today I tried with another adapter. I could unlock, start to turn off Bitlocker then drive hangs...
I could see file system a couple of time but not enough to do anything.

Now I keep getting this "version error"which is not relevant. When I try to repair, scanning works for 3 min then error stat to appear. Looks to me like a damaged NAND.
Anyone has experience with NVME tool on the market (ACE, Deepspar) ?
Attachments
BDE_repair.PNG
BDE_repair.PNG (25.95 KiB) Viewed 9949 times
BDE_version.PNG
BDE_version.PNG (5.06 KiB) Viewed 9949 times

February 26th, 2021, 11:49

Try to check the temperature of the device( Controller+ Data chip + other components ) when it goes to hang mode.

Ace & deepspar support this scenario, but overall depends the condition of the chip.

February 26th, 2021, 13:59

+1 for checking if it gets hot somewhere. Saw that problem several times.

pepe

March 4th, 2021, 5:47

There was no hot components however I could clone it. Took 5 days as NVME was disconnecting every 2 minutes, just enough time to read some sectors. Result is good.

March 4th, 2021, 15:08

My impression from the user forums is that all NVMe SSDs run hot. That's why they need heatsinks.

Also, if you are using a USB-NVMe adapter, be aware that certain bridges have stability issues:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/stable-nvme-usb-adapter.2572973/

Personally I would set up a test jig using a PCIe card plus an extension cable. The cable would be connected to a passive adapter which would ideally provide access to both sides of the SSD. I would then attach stick-on heatsinks to the major heat affected ICs.
Post a reply