All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unable to recover partition from SSD
PostPosted: March 18th, 2021, 0:41 

Hey Folks - first post. Just found the forum today when I was specifically looking for a forum to discuss SSD drives.

I have a Samsung 850 500GB SSD drive in my system. I accidentally deleted the partition and re-formatted the drive. It had contained some work data that is mostly backed up, so losing the data won't be a very big loss but there was some newer work that I would like to get back. But I have been unable to recover the deleted partition - I've tried Acronis Recovery Expert (12.5), MiniTool Power Data Recovery (9.2), Ontrack EasyRecovery (11.0.2), and an older program called GetData Recover my Files (I think version 3 or 4). None of these programs could recover the deleted partition. It starting to look like I've lost that data, but I wanted to check with others who have more experience with SSD drives. And maybe there is a recovery program that will work for my situation. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Unable to recover partition from SSD
PostPosted: March 18th, 2021, 4:37 

You can try something like r-studio or dmde but have a Google for SSD TRIM before spending too much time.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2021, 4:42 

Hello,

the ssd got trimmed most probably, that is to say data is gone forever. SSD initializes the trimmed storage area in order to make free blocks to speed up subsequent writes.
You might read more on trim on the web, there's plenty of info on it i am sure.

pepe

PostPosted: March 18th, 2021, 8:58 

Quote:
And maybe there is a recovery program that will work for my situation. What do you guys think?

Nope, TRIM. If data is hugely important then maybe PC3000 can retrieve data as data is not immediately actually erased although SSD pretends it is by returning zeros. To increase chances SSD should be removed from power.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2021, 11:10 

Thanks to everyone for the heads-up on TRIM. The drive was removed from power for a few hours, but it's mostly been plugged in. I've spent several hours running the different recovery programs and the computer was left running overnight since the drive was formatted so the drive has had plenty of idle time. Recovering the data would have saved me some time re-doing the work but I think I've hit the end of the recovery road and I don't want to spend more time chasing data that isn't there. Bummer but even the most experienced of users sometimes make mistakes. :(