Annotation 2021-07-17 144709.png [ 6.89 KiB | Viewed 36512 times ]

Post subject: Re: JMicron VS ASM vs RTL9210 Which is better chipset for NV
PostPosted: July 17th, 2021, 13:49 

See this thread:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/stable-nvme-usb-adapter.2572973/

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 0:45 

Thanks fzabkar
I was sure you will be first to respond.
actually I have gone through that thread before making this query.
Discussion in this article has gone on a differnt topic lastly than build quality /reliability / technical superiority which are must for data recovery.
here we are dealing with differnt manufacturers devices and models. So ultimate compatibility is must.
in this thread they have not arraived at any definative conclusion as which is best chipset.
there is praise of both RTL 9210 and older JM chipsets.
I was more confused after reading this article and decides to ask in our community .

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 2:50 

My impression was that JMicron's chip was the least reliable while the Realtek was the best. I know that one enclosure had a write protect switch but I can't remember which one. From memory, Asmedia now has a second generation bridge.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 3:31 

Is there a reason why you don't buy both and use whichever is best in any given recovery?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 4:09 

Lardman wrote:
Is there a reason why you don't buy both and use whichever is best in any given recovery?

That is not wise and economical option. I will have to waste $100 for buying cheap and unreliable enclosure which will be scraped after purchase.
Technology is in continuous changing phase. There are so many variants from same chipset.
If I get expert opinion then that will increase my efficiency . I always rely on fzabkar's suggestions which so far have proven crucial in my purchase decisions.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 5:47 

I would think that a selection of different enclosures would have been advantageous specifically because they are different. For the record my adapter is JMicron ( jms583 chip ) based and although not heavily used it's never caused a problem.

If sourcing for DR and looking for a single best fit solution have you considered the adapter (and associated hardware) from a DR specific vendor such as Ace Labs rather than a retail or prosumer enclosure. It would provide the buy once and cry once option.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 22:06 

yes you are right Lardman
I am not aware of any DR specific industrial grade enclosure. Pls.let me know if you know any such enclosure.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 22:21 

fzabkar and Lardman
this thread has come at right time as I am also buying NVME SSD cloning enclosures.
So far discussion is for USB enclosures which may not be right choice for direct access as USB conversion electronics is involved.This is particualary important for failing devices.
RAW access is always crucial to access or update firmware as well.
So I would like to know whether onboard Nvme port based motherboard is right choice as compared to USB enclosures.
What are advantages and disadvantages of direct motherboard based access vs USB enclosures .
I have 2 PCI express based adapters, unfortunately no SSD is getting detected on any of them.
Its not wise to buy all adapters and then throw them in thrash.
We cant experiment with client SSD's and with data.
We must buy only technically proven solution. I have read that only RTL enclosure has feature to suspend power supply in idle condition.
JMicrom is very old chipset and might not support upcoming generation of devices.
Unfortunately nowhere superiority of any specific chipset / model is mentioned over other (This is because all of them are having some unique features)
Highly reliable operation , open firmware for future updates , less heat generations are what core parameters while choosing ight solution.
Ultimately cloning softwares like hddsuperclone also must support chipset.
thanks for posting your valuable inputs

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 7:14 

terminator2 wrote:
I am not aware of any DR specific industrial grade enclosure. Pls.let me know if you know any such enclosure.
I'm not aware of a DR specific usb enclosure either. As Higgsboson references it's beneficial to start with as low a level access as you can and putting USB in the way just complicates things.

I vaguely remember Maximus (of hddsuperclone) doing some research earlier this year as to which gave the best performance when cloning using his software but dismissing USB direct as problematic. As far as I can see all of the DR specific kit is pcie adapter based rather than usb bridge.

I do very little work with them as I couldn't justify the post of pc3K portable just for the odd recoverable case. If I can't see anything wrong electronically, and can't read the device in the usb enclosure and as a last resort it's doesn't read in my pcie adapter (which is annoying to use as it isn't hot swap). I pass on the job.

Perhaps someone with pc3K portable can provide more informed answers.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 9:26 

higgsboson wrote:
fzabkar and Lardman
this thread has come at right time as I am also buying NVME SSD cloning enclosures.
So far discussion is for USB enclosures which may not be right choice for direct access as USB conversion electronics is involved.This is particualary important for failing devices.
So I would like to know whether onboard Nvme port based motherboard is right choice as compared to USB enclosures.
What are advantages and disadvantages of direct motherboard based access vs USB enclosures .
I have 2 PCI express based adapters, unfortunately no SSD is getting detected on any of them.
We must buy only technically proven solution. I have read that only RTL enclosure has feature to suspend power supply in idle condition.
JMicrom is very old chipset and might not support upcoming generation of devices.
Unfortunately nowhere superiority of any specific chipset / model is mentioned over other (This is because all of them are having some unique features)
Highly reliable operation , open firmware for future updates , less heat generations are what core parameters while choosing ight solution.

Well,
To start with i would not recommend we use onboard nvme because we need to be sure nvme will not short circuit etc when we receive it ,For starters check it using a usb to nvme bridge then might be shift to onboard

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 11:32 

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
higgsboson wrote:
fzabkar and Lardman

Well,
To start with i would not recommend we use onboard nvme because we need to be sure nvme will not short circuit etc when we receive it ,For starters check it using a usb to nvme bridge then might be shift to onboard

Thanks amarbir

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 19:23 

Here is part of a response to me from someone using HDDSuperClone about NVMe drives:
Quote:
I just want to give you an heads up that your tool is very successful and I manage to recover more bad sector drives than with my cloning hardware.

To come back to NVME recovering I manage to get good success with a combination between Realtek and Jmicron USB to NME bridges but over USB 2 not USB 3

So this person specifically noted that they had more success with USB 2 over USB 3. I am not sure if that is due to the USB bridge, or maybe because the speed is slower with USB 2 and therefore is more stable because it doesn't create as much heat.

As to why you would use a USB adapter over direct PC connection, once the NVMe device locks up, it can require a power cycle to come back. Imagine having to reboot the PC every time it locks up. With the USB adapter, the device can be power cycled to continue the cloning process.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2021, 0:04 

Wo great , Its special treat to get most comprehensive analysis from expert person like maximus.
Thank you maximus for shading light on this .
So from discussion above I have learnt ---

1) USB 2.0 is stable choice over USB 3.0 and direct motherboard based platforms.
2) There is no clear mandate between chipsets but ASM is nowhere in discussion. So I will have to buy latest RTL and JM both chipset based enclosures.
I will email both realteck and JMiron for roadmap of there chipsets and which is last firmware chipset revision. I will check enclosures with those latest products.
challenge is under same chipset variants are there and I dont know whether firmware update tools are available for generic manufacturers.
3) For failing or damaged devices power cycle might be needed , adequate active cooling provision also must be made.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2021, 6:37 

Seems to me that a bit of kit to power cycle a pcie slot via would fit well, specifically for HHDSuperclone. I've seen a few hot-swap and pcie power reset daughter boards online but I've not bumped into anything specifically designed around drives. I'm sure it would be a nice project for someone that way inclined.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2021, 20:17 

Lardman wrote:
Seems to me that a bit of kit to power cycle a pcie slot via would fit well, specifically for HHDSuperclone. I've seen a few hot-swap and pcie power reset daughter boards online but I've not bumped into anything specifically designed around drives. I'm sure it would be a nice project for someone that way inclined.

Unfortunately NVMe is not plug and play in Linux, at least the last time I checked. But the most recent versions of Windows 10 do seem to support hot plugging NVMe devices, and by most recent I think versions at least 2004 and newer, I don't remember for sure. So unless the OS supports it, you can't just power cycle an NVMe device and have it be recognized and accessible again.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2021, 3:13 

maximus wrote:
Unfortunately NVMe is not plug and play in Linux, at least the last time I checked
I've not done any checking myself but it does appear that there is increasing interest in resolving that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkPSJc4Bi5o

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/dfd_-_nvme_hot-plug_challenges_and_industry_adoption.pdf

Quote:
The Linux server distributors like Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, and Ubuntu Server do not yet support surprise removal of NVMe SSDs. There are many developers actively submitting patches to the Linux kernel to harden the support for surprise removal of NVMe SSDs

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-uk/ubuntu-server/ubuntu_20.04_rn_pub/nvme-drive-is-not-detected-after-multiple-hot-plug-operations?guid=guid-da68aa91-7c27-4205-ba14-30f1e4c20a4b&lang=en-us

You have to wonder how far just being able to power cycle would get in terms of recovery but something has to be better than nothing which is what most of us have at the moment :roll: