All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need opinions on recovery from Samsung SSD
PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 7:46 

Hi,

Looking for opinions and options with regard to an internal samsung SSD from macbook pro 2014. The SSD has been cut up by my younger sibling and I thought I had no need for it...And so there are only 2 of the 8 nand chips remaining (see attached picture), with the controller also gone. I had taken it to a data recovery lab who, in summary, stated that even if they extracted the raw data off of the remaining chips, without the controller the data cannot be interpreted correctly and that most probably the data is encrypted (I didnt have filevault enabled, so not sure if there is hardware level encryption on this SSD?).

Is there any possibility of recovery from this, and if so, what are my options? Looking to recover old sentimental pictures (which I hadnt backed up and evidently forgot about), and so even a partial recovery would be ideal. I have asked around, and so it doesnt seem likely, but wanted to get good second opinions from professionals, so thought that this would be the place to ask.

Brand: Samsung (Apple proprietary)
Model: MZ-JPU256T/0A6
Controller: S4LN053X01-8030

Thanks

Attachments:
Chip.png
Chip.png [ 2 MiB | Viewed 8450 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need opinions on recovery from Samsung SSD
PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 2:20 

I think I recall this from reddit.

The lab you sent it to was correct. Much like an iphone the drive are encrypted you can't just do a chip off and get the data back. If it was in perfect physical condition and just a controller problem Apple use their own standards and it would require a lab with PC3000 portable or similar assuming to access the data, this would already put it at the top end of recovery costs.

You're not likely to get a lab to take the case like this - it's not economically viable, looking to be a 4-5 figure recovery attempt which is highly like to end in failure.

If someone did take it they'd probably look to transfer the controller and the undamaged NAND over to a working board and take it from there, its possible there may be data spread across the other NAND Chips which could theoretically be recovered - honestly unless you have the cure for cancer on it, move on.

If it was sent here, I'm afraid it would be sent straight back. I can only think of one place who might consider it , they do monitor the forum so you never know.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 2:41 

rmelv44! wrote:
And so there are only 2 of the 8 nand chips remaining (see attached picture), with the controller also gone.

I thought you posted on reddit you had the rest of the device? If that single NAND is all you have left it's definitely a no fix.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 16:00 

Lardman wrote:
I thought you posted on reddit you had the rest of the device? If that single NAND is all you have left it's definitely a no fix.

Thank you for the informative response Lardman. But yes, I only have two intact NAND chips (one on either side of the PCB). There is no controller or any other aspect of the SSD remaining - all gone and broken unfortunately. So recovery seems impossible then?

PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 20:07 

Hi, the controller would most likely not be needed since it most likely does not contain any data (Samsung usually puts all the data on the NAND flash chips), but just 1 physically intact chip out of 8 simply isn't enough to get any data back. Yes, the data is most likely encrypted, and the decryption key is most likely on one of the NAND flash chips.
If you really wanted to try to get your data back, I would take the 1 remaining chip off your PCB and put it on a donor board (which would need to be found and purchased), but I dont expect that you will get any data back, so my suggestion is to give up on it.