All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rusolut vs AceLabs
PostPosted: August 10th, 2021, 5:52 

Here's a question for any owners of PC3K flash or Rusolut systems.

Would anyone be able to give feedback on both systems as to which is better for them, especially if they own both?

I know it's a very subjective question, but I am most interested in the efficiency of solving cases and how good the TS is when compared with each other for the more difficult cases.

In regards to support, I would also be interested in hearing about peoples opinions with regards to the cost of the yearly updates. This will be useful in making a decision on which system to go for.

For someone that has been used Acelabs and DDI for 3-4 years for HDD and SSDs, the obvious would be to move to PC3K Flash.

I love the Deepspar but over the years seem to be using it less and less especially when it comes to targeted recovery that the PC3K excels at, but given the choice again I would have probably would have just gone with Pc3K first although it's a much higher learning curve.

So when it comes to Flash, I want to make more research first before considering taking the plunge.

Thanks

Louis

Post subject: Re: Rusolut vs AceLabs
PostPosted: August 10th, 2021, 6:31 

Timely post as I've been wrestling over the decision to renew my PC3K Flash support.

It's not a simple answer to be honest - do you want to be able to offer the best chance of recovery or provide the most economical recovery from a business point of view. My flash sits idle for month and month as Chip off is a last resort. Financially it would be better to decline or outsource chip off and monolith jobs, but I like the ability to offer a complete recovery service.

Flash recovery is a different beast to HDD work and if you're not familiar with the technical side of things it's going to be very steep curve whatever product you opt for. PC3K flash is about as easy as it gets for known controllers but can get complicated very quickly if you stray off the path. Ace support as always is top notch but you'll pay for it yearly and I certainly don't use my money's worth, a couple of complex cases though and I would though.

Have you also considered flash-extractor ?

PostPosted: August 10th, 2021, 6:44 

Lardman wrote:
Timely post as I've been wrestling over the decision to renew my PC3K Flash support.

It's not a simple answer to be honest - do you want to be able to offer the best chance of recovery or provide the most economical recovery from a business point of view. My flash sits idle for month and month as Chip off is a last resort. Financially it would be better to decline or outsource chip off and monolith jobs, but I like the ability to offer a complete recovery service.

Flash recovery is a different beast to HDD work and if you're not familiar with the technical side of things it's going to be very steep curve whatever product you opt for. PC3K flash is about as easy as it gets for known controllers but can get complicated very quickly if you stray off the path. Ace support as always is top notch but you'll pay for it yearly and I certainly don't use my money's worth, a couple of complex cases though and I would though.

Have you also considered flash-extractor ?

Thanks, Lardman.

Appreciate the reply. I think I am the same as you and would like to offer a complete service. I would like to offer those that want to pay the best chance, but recognise that many people just don't appreciate what it really costs given the equipment and knowledge. That's the battle we all face with a lot of recovery enquiries, irrespective if its HDD/SSD/Flash etc.

Not afraid to learn and I do find the theory interesting which helps.

Not considered flash-extractor but will check it out.

It's funny you mention renewing support with Ace TS. I have been debating it too with the systems we have and most likely to skip support on UDMA this year and just pay for the PC3K Portable. Getting support on both just doesn't make sense for our size and number of cases.

I actually sent you a PM today but you've not possibly read it yet.

Cheers
Louis

PostPosted: August 10th, 2021, 7:47 

Eastcoast wrote:

Would anyone be able to give feedback on both systems as to which is better for them, especially if they own both?

I know it's a very subjective question, but I am most interested in the efficiency of solving cases and how good the TS is when compared with each other for the more difficult cases.

In regards to support, I would also be interested in hearing about peoples opinions with regards to the cost of the yearly updates. This will be useful in making a decision on which system to go for.

For someone that has been used Acelabs and DDI for 3-4 years for HDD and SSDs, the obvious would be to move to PC3K Flash.

I love the Deepspar but over the years seem to be using it less and less especially when it comes to targeted recovery that the PC3K excels at, but given the choice again I would have probably would have just gone with Pc3K first although it's a much higher learning curve.

So when it comes to Flash, I want to make more research first before considering taking the plunge.

Thanks

Louis

Hello,
I am sending you a PM

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: August 10th, 2021, 15:24 

https://www.data-medics.com/rusolut-visual-nand-reconstructor-vnr-review-rip-off-warning/

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 4:52 

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
Eastcoast wrote:

Thanks

Louis

Hello,
I am sending you a PM

Thanks Amarbir, I've got the PM. I'll reply shortly.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 4:55 

fzabkar wrote:

Wow, Fzabkar, that's really helpful and shocking to read. It's definitely opened my eyes.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 7:04 

Eastcoast wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

Wow, Fzabkar, that's really helpful and shocking to read. It's definitely opened my eyes.

Many thanks!

Hi,
I disagree with this totally you call me as i explained and i will say the right things and explain everything properly

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 10:30 

A reader should be replaced at around USD 100, coz that's about the parts value without sw and licenses. When we talk about price of such an equipment, it is like 90(or 95)% for the SW license and 5-10% for the hardware itself. HW is damn cheap to produce, so it is just ridiculous to ask 7-800 eurs for it alone.

pepe

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 11:23 

pepe wrote:
A reader should be replaced at around USD 100, coz that's about the parts value without sw and licenses. When we talk about price of such an equipment, it is like 90(or 95)% for the SW license and 5-10% for the hardware itself. HW is damn cheap to produce, so it is just ridiculous to ask 7-800 eurs for it alone.

pepe

Agreed.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 11:38 

pepe wrote:
HW is damn cheap to produce, so it is just ridiculous to ask 7-800 eurs for it alone.
I'm just going to say "spider board". :lol: I nearly fell off my chair when I got a quote for it.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 11:47 

My experience is with PC3000 Flash, and what I wanted to give to my clients is a cheap/fast way to recover the devices. Very, very few clients are willing to pay 200/300€ or more.
So I found that using PC3000 Flash I can solve those cases that are easier (very few time to work on), make a client happy and get a few €€ on my pocket.
On those cases more difificult, I outsource them to better PRO's than me (until I don't get there too :mrgreen: )

As for ACE support, Roman is excellent and always willing and available to help.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2021, 4:21 

To be honest, take this money and make party for friends ;) Flashes is 10x more harder than HDD and there is 10x more work with it. Clients usually do not want pay for it, or can give you really small money, which of course do not payback all the stuff (reader and license is really only small part from all other like tools, adapters, time!, etc).
So if you have flash time to time better outsource it.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2021, 5:53 

Lardman wrote:
pepe wrote:
HW is damn cheap to produce, so it is just ridiculous to ask 7-800 eurs for it alone.
I'm just going to say "spider board". :lol: I nearly fell off my chair when I got a quote for it.

It does look super sexy though :)

PostPosted: August 12th, 2021, 5:54 

Thanks for all the input and replies, certainly a lot to think about.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2021, 6:22 

Eastcoast wrote:
Lardman wrote:
pepe wrote:

True ,
But its not Girlfriend or Marriage Material Its a Product With Too May Sharp Legs That Hurt if they land in your fingers or hands lolz

PostPosted: August 12th, 2021, 6:25 

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
Eastcoast wrote:
Lardman wrote:
pepe wrote:

True ,
But its not Girlfriend or Marriage Material Its a Product With Too May Sharp Legs That Hurt if they land in your fingers or hands lolz

Hahah.. Thanks Amarbir, nice to talk to you today!

Cheers

PostPosted: August 13th, 2021, 23:42 

I’m 150 miles north of you or so and I’ve had pc3k flash for a few years, it really gets little use though, I’d sell you mine if acelabs let such things happen! I like offering it as a service as well, but it’s not really worth the trouble.

Not enough people want to spend on chip off, and even if they do, quite a few aren’t recoverable.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2021, 7:34 

kpeddie wrote:
I’m 150 miles north of you or so and I’ve had pc3k flash for a few years, it really gets little use though, I’d sell you mine if acelabs let such things happen! I like offering it as a service as well, but it’s not really worth the trouble.

Not enough people want to spend on chip off, and even if they do, quite a few aren’t recoverable.

Yes, it's strange why Acelabs don't allow a transfer. I guess that's how they make their money.

Forecasting the future is impossible. Although disks are going to be around for quite some time, SSDs and Flash will be more and more prevalent I think as time moves on. I remember buying my first DDI and wondering where it would take us. We managed to get our money back in a matter of months so it was definitely worth it. The same goes for PC3K etc, at least the UDMA.

Need to work a bit more to pay off the PC3K Portable we got but it opens up a world of SSDS we couldn't do previously.

I suppose with Flash it will just take a lot longer and many more jobs etc.

A lot to think about still.

Thaks for all the replies.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2021, 11:05 

fzabkar wrote:

As a part of Rusolut team, I wanted to write a reply to this review long time. And finally, there is a good moment. It's quite a long story and we wouldn't develop such conversation publicly, but it goes quite wide, so we have to do that now.
First of all, I want to thank Mr. Palmer for the part where he evaluated the VNR tool. Taking into account his general attitude, his words about our product itself are really valuable and tell something... BTW now it's much more powerful and automated :)

Then, I would share how the story looks like from our side.

The first activation was made on September 19, 2016. Then Mr' Palmer wrote that on June 27, 2017, the reader got broken. And this is not true...

On June 27, 2017, the license got deactivated. It may happen due to many reasons (such as new HW in a PC and so on), but the main thing here is that Mr. Palmer requested a new activation (we can see that on his screenshot) and it is NOT possible to request the new activation with the broken reader. Request file will not be generated if the reader is not recognized by a computer. We can see that on the other screenshot where the reader is broken really, the "Create request file" button is not active. Anyways, that day Mr. Palmer got the activation and disappeared until November 7, 2017. On that day he wrote that he wants to prolong the support and that his reader IS NOT recognized by a computer. And the most important, that "It worked fine about a month ago when I last used it."
The support ended on August 30, 2017.

Doesn't it look at this point, that Mr. Palmer refused the support renewal when the reader was good somewhere in September/October, but when it got broken at the start of November he requested the support update for the warranty only?
I'm not saying that it's true for 100%, but it may look like this from our side for sure.

Ok, we asked to send the reader to us for testing, we couldn't get it from the custom, but I'm sure we did everything possible from our side to do it. Unfortunately, the reader went back, then finally we got it in our lab and found physical damage that may be the reason of the failure. Again, I'm not saying that this is only true, but we see what we see. A client asks to renew the support (that includes the warranty) for a device with physical damage when the warranty is over. And then quite aggressively insists that the reader should be exchanged because we must honor the warranty.

What we did in this situation. We prolonged the support period on a half of year which was bought in November 2017 due to that delay on the custom (that was not our fault at all). We offered repairing or replacement.
Then we invited Mr. Palmer three times to come for the Start-Up training for free to restart our relations and close the reader question for good. No answer...

As for the price of a new reader, we can understand it looks high, for some probably even ridiculously high to accept, since we live in an era when you can buy a very good smartphone for 200EUR (while some smartphones cost 5x times of that and few people complain).

We are a small company (but strong and unique in many ways). Our readers are produced on a very small scale. We do not produce thousands of units at a time. Those who know the art would understand that when it comes to PCB manufacturing, for instance, prices may go down 10x times when the order is large. This means for us, they are way higher than you may expect. Want 6 layers instead of 2 for proper signaling design? Well, quadruple the cost. Want gold immersion for better signal transmission? Add some cash on top of that. The same goes for the component purchase, assembly, testing, enclosure manufacturing, etc, etc. Funny fact, those little silicon bumpers you see on the bottom of the reader, we import them from the USA (not sold in EU) simply because they are top quality and most adhesive we found on the market. They are not very cheap. We use a ZIF socket that is gold-plated and priced ~30$. Is that cheap? Well, we might have installed the tin-plated one, twice cheaper and worse quality for signal transmission. There's a "golden rule" in electronics manufacturing - go for gold if you seek for the top-tier signal transmission.

These days, most electronics is made in China. It may sound a bit old school for some, but the VNR Reader is fully manufactured in Poland which is a part of the European Union, with its perks and taxes.
We can probably make it a bit cheaper by moving manufacturing completely to China. There's nothing wrong with that, we do cooperate with several Chinese manufacturers for socket productions and the quality is good.
But, we prefer to keep full control over the manufacturing process of the reader and so far quality was flawless.

It is up to everyone to choose and decide, but keep in mind, we do not exchange damaged readers with an expired warranty for free. On the other hand, if your reader is under warranty, we will go an extra mile to fix/replace it quickly. We had several cases when our users accidentally broke the USB connector on the reader, we fixed it free of charge.

And the last thing, this case is still open and we are still willing to close it with a positive result for everybody.