All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dead Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD non distructive firmware update
PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 9:32 

Hello,

I have an old Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD which is not recognized in BIOS anymore (nor windows, obviously).
(with INDILINX IDX110M00-LC controller and k9hcg08u1m flash memories)

I've been using it sporadically in an old laptop.

It's the second time it dies.

The first time I didn't know much about SSDs or why this things happen and did some research
and found out you can revive it using the jumper method (Yatapdong Barefoot-rom) and firmware upload.

So I found some firmware versions of Patriot firmware tool and revived it.
But it erased the memory flash.

The first time I didn't care about the data on it.
Now I do care and I would like to access it if possible somehow.

Is is possible to attempt an firmware download (to the controller) using the firmware tool from Patriot (I did use before, same version etc)
but this time modify it somehow (in disassembler) so that it does not to go through erasing the nand flash, and just upload the firmwar to the controller?

Is this possible (feasible)? and have retained data.
I know a few things about SSDs (mapping tables etc), and how they hold data, but not in depth.

This SSD is very similar to other ssd drives (OCZ, GSkill, Crucial, Transcend) around 2010 (I guess) that have firmware tools which some I found erase others don't the nand flash (non destructive upgrade)
[Only for Falcon] firmware 2030 released - G.SKILL TECH FORUM (gskill.us) here is a non distructive upgrade, but it is mentioned not to use the jumper method?
Jumper mode does imply erasing the flash? Why?

If anybody could shed lite in what state is the controller now and why this panic states for the controller happen would be grateful.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: dead Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD non distructive firmware up
PostPosted: December 13th, 2021, 20:11 

Can someone explain what is happening to this drive, so that is not recognized anymore?
What is/could be corrupted , firmware in Bank 0, scan lists, etc?

As I said, I can recover the drive using the firmware flash tools
Patriot Torqx Indilinx SSD FW1916 Upgrade Program ; Patriot_Torqx_Indilinx_SSD_FW1916_Upgrade_Program.rar; size: 951 258 bytes
Patriot Torqx Indilinx SSD FW2030 Upgrade Program ; Patriot_Torqx_Indilinx_SSD_FW2030_Upgrade_Program.rar; size: 935 542 bytes
from usbdev(dot)ru/files/indilinx/

So it's more a software firmware corruption issue I guess
maybe bad blocks in Bank 0 where firmware is stored?

In ROM mode (factory jumper) the firmware tool can read scan list (bad block list?) and write firmware bin.

After some research I understand I could use Jasmine OpenSSD install.exe to communicate with the indilinx barefoot 1 controller, flash etc.
It's open source.
But I could also relatively easily modify the original firmware tool K9HCG08U1M_64MB_FFFF.exe to NOT erase the flash and only write firmware (the same version that was installed)
Wouldn't this make the data readily available, in normal operation?

Post subject: Re: dead Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD non distructive firmware up
PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 2:17 

AIUI, the controller panics when there are problems with the Flash Translation Layer. I guess it might have trouble reading other firmware components such as the SMART module and the defect lists. Each of these components is unique to each drive, so a firmware update wouldn't touch them, nor should it.