All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help identifying component on Crucial MX500 SSD
PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 14:59 

Hello everyone - I'm wondering if some kind soul would help me identify the component shown in the attached pics.

Background: I killed my Crucial MX500 2Tb drive by using the wrong power-supply SATA cables (I have two power-supplies and didn't realize that the power-supply connection cables are not swappable.) PSA: do not assume that ATX power-supply molex connectors are pinned the same way, power-supply to power-supply. I discovered the hard way that they are not. As a result of using the mismatched PS-to-SATA cables, I applied the wrong voltages to the input of the drive. I opened the drive and removed an obviously-blown zero-ohm resistor, replacing the R with a solder-bridge, which brought the drive back to life for a day. Sadly, it has died again. My theory is that whatever 5V regulator which might be on-board was stressed by the repeated application of the incorrect voltage, prior to the zero-ohm resistor failure and subsequently failed after a short period of 5V power re-introduction.

So, I'm guessing that U510 is a power regulator, but I don't know this. With the drive powered off, I traced the 5V connection to U510 (using a multimeter) and the 5V connectivity stops with that component. Perhaps that's to be expected or perhaps it indicates the device is "blown". It's a 10 pin device which is marked with EK72 on the top.

My objective isn't to replace U510, as I'd never be able to get a replacement device soldered on properly. Instead, I'd just like to verify my guess and understand the component operation, such that I could, for instance, properly introduce a regulated 5V externally, to operate the drive long enough to extract the data. Or perhaps my guess is wrong and the failure point is elsewhere.

In one pic, there's a black arrow near U510. My apologies for the lousy pics. Crucial SSD model # CT20000MX500SSD1

Attachments:
IMG_1401 (2).JPG
IMG_1401 (2).JPG [ 140.01 KiB | Viewed 6500 times ]
IMG_1402_LI.jpg
IMG_1402_LI.jpg [ 3.5 MiB | Viewed 6500 times ]
IMG_1401_LI.jpg
IMG_1401_LI.jpg [ 5.41 MiB | Viewed 6500 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying component on Crucial MX500 SSD
PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 15:43 

MP5016, Monolithic Power, 2.7 - 15V, 0.7 - 5A, Current Limit Switch with Over-Voltage Clamp and Reverse Blocking, marking EK, QFN10:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/pub/media/document/MP5016_r1.0.pdf

This is my HDD/SSD IC database:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Datasheets/DATAURLS.HTM

If there is no other fault, you can bridge the Vin and Vout terminals, after removing the IC if necessary.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 15:51 

I forgot to mention that I saw the many posts by fzabkar and his amazing list of SSD components. Thank you! I searched through that long list but was unable to determine whether one of them matched the one I'm wondering about.

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1577

ref: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/he ... msg2539776

PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 15:54 

fzabkar wrote:
MP5016, Monolithic Power, 2.7 - 15V, 0.7 - 5A, Current Limit Switch with Over-Voltage Clamp and Reverse Blocking, marking EK, QFN10:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/pub/media/document/MP5016_r1.0.pdf

This is my HDD/SSD IC database:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Datasheets/DATAURLS.HTM

If there is no other fault, you can bridge the Vin and Vout terminals, after removing the IC if necessary.

I can't thank you enough! I'll bridge those terminals and report back with results, in case it can help others.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 16:12 

Markings usually include date and/or batch codes. In your case the part code is "EK", while "72" is a lot number.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 16:31 

Thank you, fzabkar.

Another question comes to mind, after reading the datasheet a bit: with that device circumvented, should I be concerned about transient voltages on the 5V input from an ATX power supply? My preference is to simply bridge across that device and plug the SSD back into the computer, rather than wiring in a benchtop power supply. Will the ATX power supply be steady enough at power-on/power-off, such that I might reasonably expect to at least power on the SSD once or twice, as I attempt to copy the data off of it? I'm just not sure how much the voltage/current clamp is used, between "every startup" to "just with surges from lightning storms".

PostPosted: January 26th, 2022, 16:37 

I've never investigated overshoot in PSUs, so I can't answer your question.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2022, 20:36 

Hi all -

Just a quick report that I was able to jumper around the aforementioned component and use a SATA-to-USB converter thing (with wall-wart 12v power supply) to get all the data off of the drive. I did not remove the component, I just installed a jumper from input to output.

Thank you again fzabkar and all for your help!