All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung 850 EVO - Password Set in BIOS - Lost Password
PostPosted: March 20th, 2022, 13:16 

Hi,
I have a Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD that I set a password on in the Bios of a Dell Laptop a few years ago. I've tried and tried many different passwords and I can't figure out the right one to unlock it.
It would be nice to get access to the data, but I've pretty much written the data off, so at this point I'm just hoping to be able to somehow remove this password so I can put this drive into a laptop for my daughter.
I've seen mention of a master password, but somehow can't really seem to actually find the master password, and even if I did I'm not quite sure how it would get entered. I'm guessing I wouldn't enter it in the bios upon boot.
I'm especially confused as it seems there are multiple password types. I start reading and then it seems like what I'm reading doesn't apply to my situation.
I'm ok with using a linux rescue cd, I have System Rescue CD on a USB drive already, and see it has WHDD, which is supposed to be similar to MHDD, which it seems might be able to do what I want, but I can't understand if it actually does.

I really appreciate any assistance.
Thank you