All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PC3000 Flash beginner questions
PostPosted: August 19th, 2022, 17:04 

Hello,

I have got my PC3000 Flash and I am trying arround.

I have collected a few old SD-cards and pendrives with 1-4GB of space to train on. So far I see that the high-level process is like that:

1. Dump
2. ECC corrections / re-reading
3. Refuild FS structure

I am at the moment stuck on the rebuilding process of my first try. I have a dump and when I run the RAW recovery I am able to find the files I have pu on the pendrive.

I was thinking data would be scrambled (XOR, bit inverting, ...) but as far as it looks this one is not. When I started to work with the transformation graph I added a bitwise inversion and I was expecting that now I will not be able to find anything but I still found the same damaged and fragmented files.

Then I tryed to delete the search results and I rerun the RAW recovery but I still get the same files.

I just don't get it... The transformation graph should by the 3rd step but no mather what I add the RAW scan results do not change. Maybe one of you can solve that mystery... Is there any apply-button I overlook or is there a way to generate from the transformation graph a "virtual block device"?

I don't really understand how it is supposed to work and why adding data preparation steps seem to do nothing...

I use version 8.0 and I have generated another project and read the dump again, i have restarted the software, etc. Nothing has changed that.

Post subject: Re: PC3000 Flash beginner questions
PostPosted: August 20th, 2022, 6:01 

It may pay you to undertake some formal training on how to use the software. NAND reconstruction isn't the easiest thing in the world and if you don't fully understand the fundamentals everything is going to hard than it needs to be. Why not first try some chips where the solutions are available in the database and reverse them to understand how they are constructed rather than jumping straight in to try and roll your own. hddrecovery.ca also have a few youtube video with some basics in, they're lacking in detail but should offer basic guidance.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2022, 6:32 

Thanks for the tip. Yes I will do some training and I have booked a session in the end of next week. I just wanted to see how far I will come with the manual.

I think I maybe missunderstand the tool - but i was thinking when I add seps to the transformation graph the data should change. Or is there any guide (blogpost, video, etc.) available which tell me how to test things and came up with own solutions?

I have all weekend time to play around. My main problem is in the moment that I dont get it why the elements in the transformation graph seem to do nothing or how to apply them ...

I will have a look at the videos you mentioned.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2022, 7:44 

I try to follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6eP5eO5Jg

But no matter if I add or remove a bitwise inversion or a page transformation I get the same results in the RAW recovery with even the same filesizes...

And that make no sence to me if i invert all bits then I should get no data at all!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2022, 16:41 

You guys will smile - I found the issue myself. Marking a line is not enough - I overlooked that I have to click on the items column and pay attention to set the red square...
Damn - that stupid simple thing made me nuts.