All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recycling of Multiple Samsung SATA SSDs _(is it possible?)
PostPosted: November 7th, 2022, 8:43 

Hello everyone. This is my fisrt post in this forum. I hope i am not breaking any rules. Let me give you a bit of background:

I manage the IT of a semiconductor company and as such I have access to a big and very complete microelectronics Lab (and also minds). Recently we moved from a workstation line of work to a more integral solution where people don't use their workstations anymore. We gave each user their respective desktop but kept the drives for an information security policy. no i have like 75 Samsung SM871 256 SSDs that are due to destroy, and i was wondering: Is it possible to re-create a new bigger drive with all thos chips (just as a PoC or a personal knowledge project). Each drive has 2 SEC 601 CCK0 K9PKGY8S7A (from what i've read those are the V-NAND ICs) a SAMSUNG S4LN062X01-Y030 (This is the controller AFAIK) and a bunch of other ICs and parts (mostly Caps and Rs). (Here you have a pic of the same PCB I found online: https://recuperodatos.com/sites/default ... 93-PCB.jpg)

So the question is, besides the work it would be involved (since i know it is easier to just get a 1TB drive, i just want a fun project to work for a bit):
Having access to an microelectronic lab, with people that do ICs soldering with their eyes closed, and access to Software for designing PCB and access to electronics part as needed, Is it possible to create a BIG drive out of this small 256G ssds? I don't know where to even start.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Recycling of Multiple Samsung SATA SSDs _(is it possible
PostPosted: November 20th, 2022, 20:44 

Possible - Yes. Worthwhile - Maybe. you would need to have a board with a controller chip, then program that controller to see/use the NANDS. It is that simple. Obviously, the problem for you is designing the board and related components to suit your idea, and finding a programmable controller that is suitable, WITH an SDK, acceptable cost etc etc etc...

Understanding data management as well so your finished product is useable and reliable would also be required.

Personally, I think there is much better uses of your time. Though I regularly spend hours/days/weeks/years on boneheaded ideas, so I won't judge!

I don't know the availability of the above, or your skillset. Plus, assuming others will want to work on your idea, and use valuable Lab time might be a flawed theory.

On the other hand, in 5 years you might be producing SSDs yourself based on the path of the rabbit holes this takes you. Also consider you would be using a few years old technology - how worthwhile is it?

just a few things to think about.