All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD Blue SA 510 SATA SSD Recovery
PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 1:41 

Dear Team Good Morning.
I have got this SSD for recovery .It has no detection. It shows electronic short symptoms (all registers faintly glowing in udma ).However at one of my friends pc3000 portable it gives beeps but MCU is not supported yet (sandisk)
Considering electronic issue is there anything I can do as anyway I will have to return it as "unrecoverable" .Considering dense SMD I will have to outsource it to some expert but if anyone of you have already came across this model or have better understanding of electronics might be able to conclude.
Thanks

Attachments:
WD Green Divgi.jpeg
WD Green Divgi.jpeg [ 292.19 KiB | Viewed 6748 times ]

Post subject: Re: WD Blue SA 510 SATA SSD Recovery
PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 2:25 

I can show you the voltage test points, but you've never given me any feedback in previous threads, so I think it would be just pointless effort on my part.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 4:08 

fzabkar wrote:
I can show you the voltage test points, but you've never given me any feedback in previous threads, so I think it would be just pointless effort on my part.

Sorry for not replying. In fact I acknowledge & appreciate your electronic & other expertise and skills. Any particular thread might have been overlooked or that particular case might have been close due to lack of customer interest.But generally I ensure to reply each and every thread started by me.

Thanks

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 4:37 

Have you done the basic checks ?

Resistance to ground at the power inputs.
Current drawn.
Diodes on the power rails.
E-fuse.
Inductor voltages.

Should take less than 5 minutes with tools totalling less than 20 usd.

I know the pc3000 cards have protection but I really don't like connecting drives up without checking for shorts before hand.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 9:08 

Lardman wrote:
Have you done the basic checks ?

Resistance to ground at the power inputs.
Current drawn.
Diodes on the power rails.
E-fuse.
Inductor voltages.

Should take less than 5 minutes with tools totalling less than 20 usd.

I know the pc3000 cards have protection but I really don't like connecting drives up without checking for shorts before hand.

Yes PC3000 Portable has automated testing process ,but we could not conclude whether issue is with FW or electronics. Now since this model is not supported by portable I am trying work on electronics.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 10:16 

terminator2 wrote:
we could not conclude whether issue is with FW or electronics.
Doing the basic checks I listed would have provided you with that answer in most cases without the need to go anywhere near pc3000. The results of those check are also normally the first things requested when asking for help.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2023, 3:48 

Lardman
Yes you are absolutely right , I must have finished this basic diagnostics first which would have ruled out eletronics related issue.Thanks a lot .
I will search schematics of this model and update.Can you pls. suggest entry level but good multimeter to perform these tests.I will have to test these components in circuit only as removing them is not possible for me.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2023, 4:36 

I'm confused - you purchased pc3000 udma but didn't buy a multi-meter?

Literally any digital multimeter, ideally with continuity test will do all the tests you need to - over here they start from around a tenner. If you don't have the equipment to do anything with the results there's not a lot of point making them.

Perhaps it may be better for you to form a partnership with a local lab to sub these out to until you have the necessary equipment.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2023, 4:41 

terminator2 wrote:
Lardman
Yes you are absolutely right , I must have finished this basic diagnostics first which would have ruled out eletronics related issue.Thanks a lot .
I will search schematics of this model and update.Can you pls. suggest entry level but good multimeter to perform these tests.I will have to test these components in circuit only as removing them is not possible for me.

Do you mean to say that in the 13 years that you've been a member of this group, during which time you've asked several electronics related questions, you've never bothered to acquaint yourself with a multimeter, "entry level" or otherwise? Well, that would explain why I've never received a skerrick of feedback in all those threads where I've provided you with test points.

And, BTW, good luck finding schematics and learning what to do with them. It's a big learning curve when you're starting from zero. You would be doing your customer a service if you were to outsource this job.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2023, 10:30 

Guys Cool Down.
I can understand your point.
I am into business for more than 15 years. We do have PC3000 UDMA with latest update as well as fluke multimeter too.
Actually I do not look into core technical works but handle other aspects of the business.
When my partner is not available I came into picture. Occasaionally I keep myself abreast with technical work as well particularly when technical persons are not available and for simple non critical cases.
Since I do not participate in day todays work I have limited knowledge . Now my partner is on vacation for few days and we have already done a thorough testing on portable with ace technical support. Since device is not supported by portable there is nothing that can be done on fw level.
Before giving up and returning SSD to customer I wanted to give it a try to learn more about electronics as future devices will be SSD's only.
I have consulted customer who has given me free hand to try as they have 8 days prior backup .So this case is sort of learning for me .
Regarding multimeter I can check resistance to ground from power input , but I am skeptical whether in circuit testing of diode will give right results.I don't know how to check current drawn using a multimeter too. Hope this explains my side.Thank you.