All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 short from PSU SATA Power
PostPosted: March 17th, 2023, 9:55 

Hello, I've been using my 860 EVO SATA M.2 with 2.5" SATA M.2 Enclosure converter from Orico, it's been working fine for about a year until yesterday I move it to another PC with faulty PSU in the SATA Power.

Then it shorts the Orico Enclosure and burnt it, I seems couldn't find any burn trace in the M.2 it self, but I tried to put in M.2 SATA slot directly in mobo and it couldn't get detected anymore.

I've tried searching in this forum and the SSD seems to have e-fuse, and looking from another thread with regular 860 EVO 2.5" SATA, the e-fuse is looks same(?) SMD 10 pin chip. Mine is labeled AtAEX.

I tried measuring it using multimeter using continuity and it doesn't connect between Vin and Vout, so if my understanding is correct the e-fuse is blown? (I'm not sure if this is the correct way to measure it using multimeter). I attach the image for my SSD.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, so trying to learning from other similar thread I could try to bridge a Vin and Vout to try to bypass the e-fuse and hopefully the SSD is still alive? and if it's still good I could try to order the replacement for it? is it the same e-fuse used in regular 860 EVO 2.5" SATA?

Thank you for help.

Attachments:
File comment: 860 EVO SATA M.2
IMG_20230317_054436 (2).jpg
IMG_20230317_054436 (2).jpg [ 423.74 KiB | Viewed 3623 times ]

Post subject: Re: Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 short from PSU SATA Power
PostPosted: March 17th, 2023, 13:09 

If in was continuous to out that would make it a simple fuse rather than an efuse. Check for shorted caps around the pmic, check the current drawn, then check the voltages at the fuse. If there's nothing obviously wrong bridge in and out.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2023, 13:31 

What is the resistance between ground and each of Vin and Vout?

I believe that Atxyz is a Silergy e-fuse with a pinout similar to an STEF4S by Microelectronics (At = part ID, x = year, y = week, z = lot number). I haven't been able to find a datasheet.

The component to the left appears to be a MOSFET switch. There should be the same voltage on each of the unpopulated pads nearby.

CSD22206, Texas Instruments, P-Channel NexFET Power MOSFET, -8V, -5A, 5.7 mOhm Rdson, WLP-9:
https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/csd22206w

PCB protection devices - Electronic Fuse:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1615&p=8872#p8872

Here are hi-res photos of the PCB:
https://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/6180

PostPosted: March 18th, 2023, 13:49 

I believe the MOSFET is configured as an ideal diode for reverse current protection.

Ideal diode - Reverse Current Protection:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1615&p=23212#p23212

PostPosted: March 19th, 2023, 9:50 

hi, thanks for the answers,

how to to check shorted caps around pmic? is using continuity check in multimeter correct? I tried it and there's seems no short in the caps around pmic.

to "check the current drawn, then check the voltages at the fuse" this mean I should power the SSD on and trying to measure the pins? I'm really not comfortable doing that as the pin is very small and it's really hard to put multimeter correctly, and I'm afraid to short it with my multimeter. Is there any other way?

I tried to measure resistance between GND (I use pin 5 in e-fuse as GND if that's correct(?)) and Vin Vout:
GND - Vout ~99.5kOhm
GND - Vin ~7.8kOhm

I read about the input MOSFET from that link, so it's also possible that the input MOSFET also failed and need to bridge between Drain to Source?

thank you for the helps

PostPosted: March 19th, 2023, 12:23 

You don't need to measure the voltage at the pins. For example, you can see that Vin of the e-fuse is connected to each of the four +3.3Vout pads, so you can measure the voltage at these pads.

Also, Vout is connected to the nearby capacitors, so you can measure the voltage at the capacitors instead.

As for ground, you can choose any ground point which is less "busy".

PostPosted: March 19th, 2023, 16:19 

okay, tomorrow I'll try to set up my mobo to test bench so I could get better position to try to measure it,
what voltage to expect in Vin and Vout to know if the e-fuse is okay or blown?

also I seems already made mistake in my previous attempt at measuring GND, maybe somehow I push too hard with my multimeter at pin 5 (GND) in e-fuse and somehow the solder tin is "merged" into pin 4 (Vcp?)

these pin are too small! I really have hard time trying to "separate" them again. right now it's shorted between pin 4 (Vcp) and 5 (GND)
I'll see what I could do with it maybe with exacto knife before trying to power the SSD ON, or any ideas?

ah, I should have thought about "less busy" GND before that, and I just found quite big round GND near the M.2 slot..

thank you for your reply,

PostPosted: March 20th, 2023, 7:44 

You should be seeing 3.3v at the fuse, best to clear that bridge either mechanically with a knife or flux it and a reflow with an iron or air. If you're not comfortable working at these scales it may be better to pass this off to a lab who are.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2023, 11:38 

hi, thank you for reply,

unfortunately I'm living in small city and I'm not sure there's lab near me which capable of working with reflow soldering. there's a possibility in neighbor city in lab focusing in smartphone service and repair but I'm not sure.

luckily I managed separated pin 4 and 5 using knife, but now weird thing is pin 4 is still connected to GND (still shorts?), and pin 5 is not connected to GND anymore (broken pin?).
is it possible this atXXX e-fuse has different pinout compare to STEF4S? in pinout 4 and 5 (pin 4 being GND in atXXX instead pin 5 like in STEF4S).
or it just me messed up with both pin 4 and 5..

so if there's 3.3v in Vin and Vout, e-fuse is still working, and there's other problem in SSD.
if there's no 3.3v in Vout then e-fuse is blown, either bridge it to bypass e-fuse between Vin and Vout to see if SSD is still alive and then replace the e-fuse.
if there's no 3.3 at Vin, then maybe the MOSFET at the input is broken and I could try to bridge Drain to Source pins.

is that correct?

thank you

PostPosted: March 21st, 2023, 11:56 

I was merely guessing that the e-fuse was pinout compatible with an STEF4S. I may be wrong.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2023, 14:00 

If you look at the reference board image from the link fzabkar posted pins 4 and 5 appear to be left floating.
Attachment:
at7KH.JPG
at7KH.JPG [ 33.82 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Assuming the pinout is the same (and it's a pretty safe bet it is) on an m2 neither of these are needed assuming the middle tab is ground. The 860 sata posted on a previous thread has pin 4 which we assume is vcp set to vin as the voltage is 5 not 3.3.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2023, 14:44 

so do you think it's safe to try to power on this SSD to measure the voltage? considering pin 4 and 5 now stop shorted because of my previous mistake.

here I tried my best to take a aftermath photo of my murder to pin 4 and pin 5 if it's doing any help, I'm sorry I couldn't get any better close up photo.

Attachments:
IMG_20230321_230123_edit.jpg
IMG_20230321_230123_edit.jpg [ 969.75 KiB | Viewed 3194 times ]

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2023, 3:16 

I can't tell anything from the picture there's too much mess around the pins, I wouldn't be overly worried about it though.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2023, 19:59 

thank you for your reply,

I will try to power on the SSD in next couple of days and try to measure the voltage, and will report back.

really grateful for all the help so far, thank you all!