All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung EVO 860 1TB 2.5" SSD - Not recognised (Australia)
PostPosted: March 25th, 2023, 20:31 

Just stumbled upon this great resource for hard drives as I now find myself in the predicament that I have a Samsung EVO 860 1 TB that is now unresponsive.
Realising my backups had not being working I went to exam my hard drives and without thinking I hot plugged one of my RAID hard drives.

All of a sudden I got the dreaded Blue screen of death and I immediately shut everything off.

When I powered back up the 1TB drive was not recognised at all by bios. I have tested the drives in multiple machines, directly and indirectly (docking station) and no computer/bios/Samsung Magician/EAS US bootable sees the drive.

The hard drive is still in warranty but reading the terms and conditions Samsung wont do any form of data recovery. So I find myself at a big loss as i have been working on something for some time and it looks like it has all gone.

I have an electronics background, but have no background in SSD which scares me tremendously.
I have multiple HDD and also another 860 in this PC which looks like they survived. But only the one with the valuable data was taken down. :cry:

Shooting in the dark as to why:
I am guessing in the hot plug of the HDD; the power supply has perhaps loaded up and then quickly over voltage spiked the device.

I have taken the lid of the device and inspected both sides. There is no visible signs of damage to any IC/track.

This device looks like it uses the ST STEF4S E-Fuse. The E-Fuse IC has no visible damage like some of the other posts I have witnessed.
I have attached an image below. I can measure continuity between the 5V ATA header and VIN of this chip. I have also checked to see if there is a short on the Vout of this device, which there is not.

I am unsure if the 3V3 line from ATA header runs through a similar protection scheme? Perhaps someone might be familiar with this.

I was hoping to find something really obvious but that doesn't seem to be the case (e.g big black mark where something went KaPOOW) and now im debating whether to push further or find someone here in Australia that may be able to take a look at it.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Post subject: Re: Samsung EVO 860 1TB 2.5" SSD - Not recognised (Australia
PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 6:24 

We've just gone over the 860 here https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43202

Check Vin and Vout on the fuse and then the voltages at the inductors fzabkar has marked around the pmic. Unless there has been electrical trauma you're not likely to find anything fixable.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 11:27 

Another 860 SATA:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43191

One of your inductors has a black spot ...

PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 12:24 

Oops thought that was the thread I'd linked to. I believe that spotty inductor is on the 1.8v rail for vcc to the sdram