All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP WITH GLUED BGA
PostPosted: October 31st, 2023, 11:05 

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to share my recent experiences with BGA reballing. I've made significant progress, successfully identifying and resolving a short circuit in an SSD caused by a faulty processor. I replaced the processor without any issues and managed to recover the data successfully. However, I'm facing challenges when dealing with BGA chips that are glued.

I'm reaching out for advice because I understand the importance of being extremely cautious, especially when heating up the board with NAND chips and the controller. In our workplace, we've been investing in tools like tiny claws to remove the resin around the chip. But when there's resin underneath the BGA, I find myself unsure of the best approach. I've seen videos of cell phone repairers using spatulas to lift the BGA from underneath, and honestly, it worries me.

Recently, I've been experimenting with an M.2 SSD that has minimal resin underneath the NAND, mostly concentrated at the edges. Using a solvent from Yaxun, YX-535, I managed to remove almost all the resin. Now, I'm contemplating using a spatula to carefully lift the memory chip. However, I'm still hesitant and would appreciate any advice or tips from those experienced in similar situations. Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks to read and my best regards