All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MZ-VL21T0A Dont have any activity in pc3k protable
PostPosted: November 7th, 2023, 14:36 

Greetings, everyone.

I received an SSD from a client last week, a Samsung model MZ-VL21T0A. When I connected the SSD to the PC3K portable device, none of the status indicators such as PHY and ACT lit up, and the power consumption was measured at 0.13A. After consulting with an acquaintance in the data recovery industry, they suggested that the processor might not be communicating with the memory modules.

I conducted several measurements around the PMIC inductors. I will be sharing an image containing all the measured voltages. I noticed that some voltages were unusually low, specifically 0.86V and 0.74V. I suspect these voltages could be used by the processor.

Additionally, I have been attempting to locate the datasheet for the memory modules, specifically with the part number "kdugy8." Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in finding any relevant information. My goal is to confirm whether the memories indeed operate on the low voltages I observed earlier.

My best regards

Attachments:
voltages.jpg
voltages.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 6533 times ]

Post subject: Re: MZ-VL21T0A Dont have any activity in pc3k protable
PostPosted: November 7th, 2023, 14:57 

Voltages look fine to me. Is it a constant 0.13A draw immediately on power up or is that what it settles at after some fluctuation. What's the resistance on the power rails like? Have you measured the voltage at the nand caps?

PostPosted: November 7th, 2023, 14:57 

You should measure the voltages on the other side of the inductor, ie the side that connects to the filter capacitor. That said, the difference will be minor.

There are two additional ICs, an 8-pin and a 14-pin. I expect that these will be load switches. You should measure the same voltages at the inputs and outputs. The 14-pin IC is probably a dual switch.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2023, 17:34 

0.1A - this is how much the adapter itself consumes, check the connection and the adapter.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2023, 14:38 

Lardman wrote:
Voltages look fine to me. Is it a constant 0.13A draw immediately on power up or is that what it settles at after some fluctuation. What's the resistance on the power rails like? Have you measured the voltage at the nand caps?

Lardman thanks very much to answer. I gonna measured the voltage at the nand caps

PostPosted: November 8th, 2023, 14:40 

fzabkar wrote:
You should measure the voltages on the other side of the inductor, ie the side that connects to the filter capacitor. That said, the difference will be minor.

There are two additional ICs, an 8-pin and a 14-pin. I expect that these will be load switches. You should measure the same voltages at the inputs and outputs. The 14-pin IC is probably a dual switch.

Fzabkar thanks very much to answer, as usual. I gonna take a look in the chips you indicated to me.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2023, 14:43 

gold6565 wrote:
0.1A - this is how much the adapter itself consumes, check the connection and the adapter.

Gold6565 Thanks very much to answer. I dont thought about the adapter consumption, nice tip

Stay Strong Ukraine

PostPosted: November 11th, 2023, 10:59 

Lardman wrote:

I assessed the voltage levels at the NAND caps, and it appears that the NAND flash operates with voltages of 1.2v, 1.8v, and 2.49v. Interestingly, I speculate the NAND flash internally generates voltages of 0.6v and 11.99v. I speculate that the 11.99v might be utilized for block erasure purposes, although the specific function of the 0.6v remains unclear to me at this point.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2023, 11:04 

jtb1982 wrote:
Lardman wrote:

I assessed the voltage levels at the NAND caps, and it appears that the NAND flash operates with voltages of 1.2v, 1.8v, and 2.49v. Interestingly, I speculate the NAND flash internally generates voltages of 0.6v and 11.99v. I speculate that the 11.99v might be utilized for block erasure purposes, although the specific function of the 0.6v remains unclear to me at this point.

I could be wrong, I always expected these erase voltages much higher and those charge pumps pumping it in 20v ranges.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2023, 13:43 

jtb1982 wrote:
I assessed the voltage levels at the NAND caps, and it appears that the NAND flash operates with voltages of 1.2v, 1.8v, and 2.49v.
I don't understand why you're it's using so little current with those reading. Check the the IC's fzabkar suggested in case the controller isn't being enabled otherwise I can only think it's brain dead.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2023, 13:59 

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?p=306302#p306302

The Vpp voltage is set to 12V for Micron and Samsung NAND flash. This is an external voltage that is discussed in JEDEC Standard No. 230D, but its function is undefined. Micron uses it to improve read performance, so it is not merely a programming voltage. JEDEC specifies a value of 12.0V for Vpp.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2023, 16:54 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-980-pro-ssd-failures-firmware-update

https://www.ti.com/packaging/en/docs/partlookup.tsp?partmarking=rb966
https://www.ti.com/packaging/en/docs/partlookup.tsp?partmarking=13xh

PostPosted: November 14th, 2023, 12:07 

Thank you all for your assistance with this case.

Both load switches are functioning properly, and I can measure voltage at the output of both ICs. The load switch marked rb966 is responsible for supplying power, as far as I can discern, to the RAM memory with two voltages, namely 1.12V and 1.81V. The load switch with the marking 13xh is responsible for supplying power, as far as I can discern, to the processor at 1.12V.

I am contemplating resoldering the memories first and subsequently addressing the processor.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2023, 4:47 

If all the voltages are present it's increasingly looking like firmware. I'd move to the thermal camera next and check the thermal pattern. You should get a blip on the pmic then sdram and then controller. Some drives cycle this others stop with just the controller showing heat.

You can try a reball but I wouldn't expect any change.