All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloning HDD to SSD using USB3S2SAT3CB- NO LUCK!
PostPosted: January 1st, 2024, 16:20 

I am trying to replace my failing HDD with a Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 using a StarTech USB3S2SAT3CB (USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SDD Cable w/UASP) and getting nowhere in a hurry. When I plug the USB to SATA into my Windows 10 in a USB 3.0 port the computer does not see it. It doesn’t show in the computer anywhere in the Device manager. I have connected it to two other Windows 10 computers. It didn’t show up on either of them as well.

I am a layman. However, after reading reviews about the USB3S2SAT3CB it looked like a “piece of cake.” I have also downloaded EaseUSA Disk Copy and Acronis True Copy to make the clone. The only reason that I downloaded two is that I assumed I wasn’t doing something correctly when my computuer would not identify the SSD.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cloning HDD to SSD using USB3S2SAT3CB- NO LUCK!
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2024, 5:09 

Neither of those tools can image failing drives properly.

If your drive has failed to the point at which it is no longer being shown in disk manager with the correct capacity then you have very few if any options to do anything yourself. If the data is important you're best off contacting a local recovery lab.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2024, 10:46 

I returned the defective SSD and got another. I successfully cloned my HHD to the SSD. I have not yet been able to boot my desktop, Windows 10, using the SSD. I am sure that it is easy if you know what you are doing. Both the HHD and the SSD are showing in the list of Disk drives in Device Manager. I assume that I am not doing something correctly in the Boot Order configuration.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2024, 21:04 

If you cloned the raw disk, the partitions have the same GUID on both physical media, so if you left both attached, the boot loader cannot distinguish between them. The system will likely boot from the SSD if you disconnect the HDD.

pepe