| HDD GURU FORUMS http://forum.hddguru.com/ |
|
| SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45361 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Pandemicc [ May 31st, 2025, 4:07 ] |
| Post subject: | SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Hello everyone, today my issue is with my very personal SSD, yes it finally happened to me as well Samsung 860 Pro P/N: MZ7KH512HAJQ MODEL: MZ-76P512 2017.12 Today I was testing a brand new SSD that I bought for a customer to see if it has any defects out of the box. I hot plugged the SSD, as I did hundreds of times before, tested the drive and ejected. It was at that very nano second, my 512gb 860 Pro died. It was my boot drive. PC locked itself, restarted, and now the drive won't even show up on any PC I plugged into. Now I have three set of questions for you guys. First: Does any of you know that samsung RMA recover data? if that is the case, I will send my drive to them, I will not break the seal Second: I will break the seal, take photos of the PCB and do some resistance check, if it is not anything related to PCB I will take it to a pro. Lastly: Do you think that this is just random, a merely unfortunate event? Do you think that what happened here is somewhat related to my PSU? Nothing happened to the SSD I tested and also one of my HDD was also plugged, nothing happened to that too Thanks in advance people! |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ May 31st, 2025, 4:24 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
By the way, I was always checking SMART every week, like I do with all of my drives, it was always in pristine condition. |
|
| Author: | westcoast [ May 31st, 2025, 11:16 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
usually wont show up in BIOS. try booting linux and see log, often times they are detected there |
|
| Author: | WebClaw [ May 31st, 2025, 17:17 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
See if it draws anything; and check the efuse. You can also inspect w/a thermal camera to isolate hot spots. |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 1st, 2025, 1:58 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Pandemicc wrote: By the way, I was always checking SMART every week, like I do with all of my drives, it was always in pristine condition. it won't show up in linux as well |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 1st, 2025, 1:59 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
WebClaw wrote: See if it draws anything; and check the efuse. You can also inspect w/a thermal camera to isolate hot spots. the drive definitely gets hot when plugged but I need more insights before I break the seal |
|
| Author: | Lardman [ June 9th, 2025, 11:45 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
It's the e-fuse, bridge vcc in and out for recovery or replace with another IC . |
|
| Author: | pepe [ June 9th, 2025, 11:47 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
there might be some shorts, coz things get hot nearby... So better find out why it heats up first. |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 9th, 2025, 11:58 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Lardman wrote: It's the e-fuse, bridge vcc in and out for recovery or replace with another IC . thanks a bunch for your reply! Im thinking about removing that ten-legged IC and see if anything still gets hot. Would that be right step to take? |
|
| Author: | Lardman [ June 9th, 2025, 12:17 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Start with the IC circled in red on your final picture, remove it (keep it safe) and retest the VCC rail for shorts. It only hits a couple of caps and then disappears into the pmic, I expect the heat you see elsewhere is just residual. |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 9th, 2025, 12:52 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Lardman wrote: Start with the IC circled in red on your final picture, remove it (keep it safe) and retest the VCC rail for shorts. It only hits a couple of caps and then disappears into the pmic, I expect the heat you see elsewhere is just residual. I removed the IC and found that fzabkar shared its datasheet: http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/techn ... 095426.pdf but I am kind of lost about "vcc rail" is it 5v SATA power? |
|
| Author: | Lardman [ June 9th, 2025, 13:10 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Pandemicc wrote: but I am kind of lost about "vcc rail" is it 5v SATA power? You can see Vin and Vout in the manual. Check Vin and and Vout with your meter in resistance mode and one probe on ground - if either are 0 that's bad. Once you have done that checked those check the resistance to ground of each of the rails from the pmic, francs probably already posted his test points but each of the inductors will do anything 0 ohm is not good.
|
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 9th, 2025, 14:36 ] | ||
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died | ||
Lardman wrote: Pandemicc wrote: but I am kind of lost about "vcc rail" is it 5v SATA power? You can see Vin and Vout in the manual. Check Vin and and Vout with your meter in resistance mode and one probe on ground - if either are 0 that's bad. Once you have done that checked those check the resistance to ground of each of the rails from the pmic, francs probably already posted his test points but each of the inductors will do anything 0 ohm is not good.those three beeps to ground on resistance mode. The rest of the legs reads OL. and I couldn't find anything about franc's test point guide. I appreciate any direction you can give me
|
|||
| Author: | Lardman [ June 9th, 2025, 15:09 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
If you're beeping you're probably in diode mode, if this is a client device you really need a little more experience before offering to work on them. You should be checking the PCB not the IC iteself. All 3 Vin (1,2,3) pads are joined so you should have continuity between the 3 of them, if the last one of them beeps when checked against ground all of them should you likely had the probe misaligned on pad 3. You should not have continuity between any Vin and ground (pad5 / screwhole). Likewise you should not have continuity between Vout and ground (10,9,8) and ground (pad 5 / screwhole). Check and confirm. |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 9th, 2025, 15:31 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
Lardman wrote: If you're beeping you're probably in diode mode, if this is a client device you really need a little more experience before offering to work on them. You should be checking the PCB not the IC iteself. All 3 Vin (1,2,3) pads are joined so you should have continuity between the 3 of them, if the last one of them beeps when checked against ground all of them should you likely had the probe misaligned on pad 3. You should not have continuity between any Vin and ground (pad5 / screwhole). Likewise you should not have continuity between Vout and ground (10,9,8) and ground (pad 5 / screwhole). Check and confirm. This is my own SSD I would have said so if it was otherwise Thanks for the clarification. Im definitely not in diode. Silly me I was checking the IC itself. All Vout shows resistance but nothing on Vins, yes all Vins are have continuity with each other. |
|
| Author: | Lardman [ June 9th, 2025, 16:08 ] | ||
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died | ||
If you're showing a short on the IC itself it sounds very much like you have found the problem. I am concerned you are getting a direct short to ground on Vin though, there's not exactly a lot between the sata power connector and the fuse to go short, just 1 cap. Check for a short between ground and the 5v rail at the sata connector itself to be sure. After that there are only 2 resistors and a cap on the back of the pcb before the fuse.
|
|||
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 9th, 2025, 16:32 ] | |||
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died | |||
Lardman wrote: If you're showing a short on the IC itself it sounds very much like you have found the problem. I am concerned you are getting a direct short to ground on Vin though, there's not exactly a lot between the sata power connector and the fuse to go short, just 1 cap.
Check for a short between ground and the 5v rail at the sata connector itself to be sure. After that there are only 2 resistors and a cap on the back of the pcb before the fuse.
|
||||
| Author: | Lardman [ June 9th, 2025, 17:07 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died |
They're not fuses, just resistors. Your measurements aren't making much sense. If you have no short to ground on either side of them you should not have a short on any Vin pad. You have removed the efuse from the pcb haven't you? Check the pads are clear and not bridged and double check pads 1,2,3 for continuity to ground. The cap : Find the plastic pin in your red circle, move up to the 4 empty horizontal pads , move left to the tiny vertical cap. Should be ground on 1 side only - the bottom pad is on the same plane as the bottom pads of the 2 resistors so I can't see how it would be anything other. |
|
| Author: | Pandemicc [ June 10th, 2025, 4:13 ] | |||
| Post subject: | Re: SAMSUNG 860 PRO Suddenly Died | |||
Lardman wrote: They're not fuses, just resistors. Your measurements aren't making much sense. If you have no short to ground on either side of them you should not have a short on any Vin pad. You have removed the efuse from the pcb haven't you? Check the pads are clear and not bridged and double check pads 1,2,3 for continuity to ground.
The cap : Find the plastic pin in your red circle, move up to the 4 empty horizontal pads , move left to the tiny vertical cap. Should be ground on 1 side only - the bottom pad is on the same plane as the bottom pads of the 2 resistors so I can't see how it would be anything other.
|
||||
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|