All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Save the status page?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2021, 16:35 

Is there a way to save the status page from DE? I often have a number of copy processes and it would be handy to export for record and to produce cumulative data.

Post subject: Re: Save the status page?
PostPosted: March 25th, 2021, 7:00 

Not sure I understand what you mean.
I do like this.

In DE I clone to SATA destination drive. One destination drive for each patient drive. Between jobs, all destination drives are filled with predefined pattern, and labeled with case number and patient model and serial. For very small drives i sometimes clone to file.

Task cloning is then done for whole drive, marked files, fs meta or bitmap. What ever is best practice in each case, depending on filesystem, patient condition and goal.

After extraction task is reopened in a separate DE task without source (to free up PC3K ports for other jobs). Then copy data from DE to a backup data drive while sorting out good and bad files (if any) in separate folders. If DE hangs or copy process needs to be restarted, DE very fast skips existing files. Finally I create a Snap2html filelist for client approval. When approved data is copied to return media. Destination drive and data copy is then stored for 2 weeks.

Investigating future possibilities using NAS af destination instead of drives, but has not found a optimal solution with backup yet.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2021, 7:20 

digisupport wrote:
Sorry it was rather poorly explained. I'm after a version of this which I can process electronically to check my template setting performance
Attachment:
status_tab.PNG
status_tab.PNG [ 21.67 KiB | Viewed 16955 times ]

digisupport wrote:
Investigating future possibilities using NAS af destination instead of drives, but has not found a optimal solution with backup yet.

Always nice to compare other peoples workflow, I do much the same which is reassuring.

I too am flip flopping on NAS or physical storage, by the time I spec out something adequate in terms of speed, capacity and performance the cost is a joke, but obtaining work via mail-in rather than local pick up is slowing down work throughput speed and physical drive are becoming a problem and my push into domestic recovery has also greatly increased the capacity of disks needed :roll: .

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 11:01 

digisupport wrote:
I do like this.

In DE I clone to SATA destination drive. One destination drive for each patient drive. Between jobs, all destination drives are filled with predefined pattern, and labeled with case number and patient model and serial. For very small drives i sometimes clone to file.

Task cloning is then done for whole drive, marked files, fs meta or bitmap. What ever is best practice in each case, depending on filesystem, patient condition and goal.

After extraction task is reopened in a separate DE task without source (to free up PC3K ports for other jobs). Then copy data from DE to a backup data drive while sorting out good and bad files (if any) in separate folders. If DE hangs or copy process needs to be restarted, DE very fast skips existing files. Finally I create a Snap2html filelist for client approval. When approved data is copied to return media. Destination drive and data copy is then stored for 2 weeks.

Exactly the same procedure here in every detail, have you been spying on me? :-)

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 17:12 

Guys, now you can buy 18TB drives, 6 drives and you have more than 100TB area for data. I copy drives to images to folder with case. No use NAS, RAID, of course not Seagate.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 4:11 

arvika wrote:
Guys, now you can buy 18TB drives, 6 drives and you have more than 100TB area for data. I copy drives to images to folder with case. No use NAS, RAID, of course not Seagate.

You store images on your actual pc3K work machine ? without backup or redundancy. :shock: I've always treated the ingest machines as just that but I do have a tendency to be overly paranoid about failures - wonder why :lol: Does your blood not run cold when the magic smoke escapes from a drive you've just plugged in. It's an interesting topic in itself.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 6:34 

Lardman, its simple calulation. You can build RAID, store all task there. When something happen you will lost everything - all cases. When you store 5-15 cases on one drive, when something happen you only lost few cases. And if happen, you can recover patient cases one more time... from 15 years nothing happen, just need keep eyes open, check condition of drives, use drives which not damage the platters within few seconds (like Seagate) etc. Anyway, I keep data 7 days after client take the data (or delete immadietly if he ask for it).
I speak with many DR guys, and they use same method for keep data - it is simplest, fastest, cheapest and relatively low risk of failure.

If you store data as clone on another drive, each time you NEED zeroed it. Double work. If you do not this there is an option that you can find some old data from previous cases in new task. This is unacceptable.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 7:07 

I get the feeling arvika you really don't like seagate :lol:

So each of your recovery machines are self contained units including logical recovery rather than distributed by task? I use images for smaller drives and flash but found it quicker to move a physical drive to another machine for logical recovery - obviously no need if it's all processed on one machine. Certainly more options to consider.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 14:30 

I like Seagate :) They give me many work and money ;)

Yes, each machine is independent and store cases. At system I have info where is current case (name of machine). For most computers I have 4K monitor splitted to four parts, so one look and I see what happend on each - four channel, each on one screen. I like fast and simple solutions. Thanks to such solutions, you can be more efficient about 2-4 times.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 12:04 

Lardman wrote:
You store images on your actual pc3K work machine ? without backup or redundancy. :shock: I've always treated the ingest machines as just that but I do have a tendency to be overly paranoid about failures - wonder why :lol: Does your blood not run cold when the magic smoke escapes from a drive you've just plugged in. It's an interesting topic in itself.

From my experience, every data recovery company of any significant size now saved images to a RAID or similar. Especially now as PC-3000 allows you to save images in VHDX form.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 11:35 

We work in a similar way like arvika.

We work with images on folder with task number. It's cleaner and safer. We change our target (destination) drives every year. Conincidentaly we've just replaced them with 10x10TB drives (not Seagate!) for each machine and made the old ones available for spare parts. We've been working like this for more than 15 years and only once we had a problem with a drive and had to recover it (it failed within a month).
But I've seen many colleagues work with direct file-saving to destination drive. I don't like this method, but anyone has their own preferences.! :D