MultiDrive – free backup, clone & wipe disk utility from Atola Technology

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: WD MCU - No more...
PostPosted: Today, 3:37 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2010, 11:17
Posts: 2854
Location: Kuwait
Doomer wrote:
einstein9 wrote:
As i said, i can send you from those new Gen. 2023 2025 SpyG2 Ultra or SpyG3 which are 100% MCU locked without Native PCB, i`ll send you only the drive (without pcb)
and will upload here Native ROM where you can write it to ANY USB3/SATA and will work. PnP

I see the confusion here
They are not 100% locked, some drives just don't encrypt the data.
That's why it cannot be a proof of concept.

einstein9 wrote:
As for your proposal:

"I can take an MCU encrypted drive and write some data to it. Then I'll disable the encryption on the drive and read the encrypted data then I can post the encrypted data from this drive somewhere on the Internet. I'll email you drive's system area (or whatever you want me to email). You'll decrypt the data and post the results for everybody to see.
"
l have to repeat again as in my PM, the hdd must be with me, not just decrypt any random selection.

Ok, this is less interesting to me but for the sake of other people who might be interested in using this technology we can do the following test.
I can take a drive, write some data to it and ship the drive to you (I assume you'd be willing to cover the shipping) without the orignal PCB (I'll PM/email you the ROM of course).
You decrypt the data and post the decrypted results (I'll think how to make the results publicly verifiable), if the result is correct I'll aknowledge it here.


you want to me to pay for shipping too? (i did not pay attention to this part)
why should i? to proof that am right? i really don`t have to

If you have a case, willing to pay for it as in your PM am willing to move forward with that
but me paying for others to prove a point, i really don`t have to.

remember, i choose you here from all the others because of your knowledge and you are a respected member here, and as i said before, your word matters
but like this, i really don`t need that. it really doesn`t matter much with me.

_________________
Kuwait Data Recovery - UNIX GTC
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. By: Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WD MCU - No more...
PostPosted: Today, 3:43 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2010, 11:17
Posts: 2854
Location: Kuwait
pepe wrote:
i have seen some Sg2 ultra drives having SED off, but as such, these were not encrypted at all, not just 'not MCU locked'.
btw, we should agree on some terminology for these drives, coz 'MCU locked' is misleading, as Doomer has already draw attention to this. What we mean here is not really a lock, coz we can access anything, ... just encrypted...
We used to use 'MCU locked' for drives you cannot access the fw at all without first unlocking the fw or using an unlocked MCU.
I suggest using something like 'MCU-tied' encryption.
pepe


I was crystal clear before when i said: "I will send you one or multiple drives as you prefer here"
by the meaning of multiple not the same family, multiple means any other, SpyG3, or SpyG2 ultra, charger ...

anyway, doesn`t matter now.

Thnx pepe for clearing things here.
have a great day

_________________
Kuwait Data Recovery - UNIX GTC
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. By: Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WD MCU - No more...
PostPosted: Today, 10:32 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 17249
Location: Australia
einstein9 wrote:
I was crystal clear before when i said: "I will send you one or multiple drives as you prefer here"
...
you want to me to pay for shipping too? (i did not pay attention to this part)
why should i? to proof that am right? i really don`t have to

I don't get it. You won't pay for shipping and you will pay for shipping. Which is it?

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WD MCU - No more...
PostPosted: Today, 10:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 29th, 2005, 12:02
Posts: 3598
Location: Chicago
einstein9 wrote:
you want to me to pay for shipping too? (i did not pay attention to this part)
why should i? to proof that am right? i really don`t have to

This is completely fine.
But it was your suggestion to use me in your advertisement compaign, and I really have no interest in this.
I don't need to ship you anything and you don't need to ship me anything, works for me.

_________________
SAN, NAS, RAID, Server, and HDD Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group