All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Switch to mobile style

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Using different WD model in WD enclousure
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 12:14 

Hello,

for several years I run a WD My Book 4T & 6T for a storage,where I have used the WD Quick formatter to use it in XP compatible mode,so the enclousure controller itself is doing the 4Kn-512e translation.However I thought about an upgrade, but instead of buying again a bigger WD My Book or Elements I bought a new 14TB WD Red and got a controller from an 14TB My Book version and run some testing.If you leave the onboard SPI flash ROM enabled, the disk is getting detected, but you can't inicialize it or do any partitioning which is clear, with disabled onboard ROM, the controller works like a regular SATA-USB bridge.
When I run the WD QuickFormatter, the disk is somehow detected, but not visible in the selection window, selecting XP compatability is possible but proceeding further will make the application to crash.Without the onboard ROM the WD QuickFormatter can't see any disk connected,so it seems it does rely on some info taked from the onboard ROM.

Did someone try to read out the onboard ROM and decode part of it,how the disk model, geometry is hardcoded?
Maybe there is a way to do replicate the same process which the WDQuickFormatter does in XP compatible mode, the manual way, does somebody looked into this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Using different WD model in WD enclousure
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 14:59 

I think @michael chiklis posted the bridge firmware from an 8TB My Book during 2020. You might try to disassemble that.

Post subject: Re: Using different WD model in WD enclousure
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2021, 5:44 

OK, thanks,will check it out.