All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Nand Bit Map Viewer Program
PostPosted: September 7th, 2022, 20:37 

Hello my dear friends, Its been quite some time that Sourcerer is mentoring me to write a cool nand bitmap viewer.

It started with a thread that I encountered on Guru about a cool engineer who wrote his own bitmapviewer which could plot the dump as jpegs.

With Sourcerer(my mentors vision) things got really cool and it was his idea that he wanted to view the whole thing at once and it should be zoomable to a very detailed level.

Under his mentorship and guidance, I wrote the tool non stop for a couple of months then halted as I had a program to hit the Himalayas. Monsoon season started and unfortunately i could not go there. Also work load got immense with a few personal goals that made the project take back seat.

I have started to re-write it and under his guidance, we plan to complete it and release it very soon. Mostly again open source or perhaps some really DR oriented features that may/can be purchased. However its very undecided at the moment.
Good chance that the program makes its way in the HDD Super Clone project which I believe is now open source and its taken care by Sourcerer et all.

So what you see in this video is a snippet of the same. Loads to program. Was a great learning curve making this utility, understanding NAND principles, loads and loads of C. I am very sure that post this project, i shall definitely clear the associates level c programming certification course after completing this tool :)

I really thank Sourcerer for teaching me so many things selflessly. It has taken me about 25 years to bump into some one who is so giving, so supportive and believed in me and always motivated me to achieve one step higher in my pursuits of learning C, tinkering with intricate technology and imparting countless things in the process. He has incredible vision and attention to detail which over drives me like vacuum tubes.

I know loads have to be programmed more and improvised. With time it will :)

What you see is a 32GB Pendrive, all at once...then zoomed in to a pretty cool extent...loads to improvise there too.

Video Link (playbacks well on cellphone youtube)
https://youtube.com/shorts/IwENuxvic-4

Post subject: Re: Nand Bit Map Viewer Program
PostPosted: September 8th, 2022, 12:16 

Well Done ,
Question what do you think is the use of this tool ,Leaving Flash Extractor such a NAND bitmap viewer is in VNR and PC3K Flash .

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: September 8th, 2022, 14:40 

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
Well Done ,
Question what do you think is the use of this tool ,Leaving Flash Extractor such a NAND bitmap viewer is in VNR and PC3K Flash .

Neither VNR nor PC3K Flash are open source ...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2022, 20:16 

Technically I wanted to buy a Rusolut System and also attend the 10 day training this year. Or at least buy Rusolut Starters kit.

But before investing I wanted to learn and discover atleast a handful of things so I find comfort while using Rusolut.

Frankly, i will have to shell out life savings to get trained with Rusolut and to recover the investments quickly in India is difficult.

However pre knowing a few things in detail and doing all of their three courses will be just a perfect road to follow. Bumpy but scenic.
Perhaps as scenic as Poland shall be. No?

So agenda is to make a opensource utility to get introduced to NAND recoveries before a full blown investment and find comfort with technology and helping folks who are in same boat.

Possible incorporation of the future if the open source version picks up with many programmers contributing:-

Can Bose Chandhuri Hocquenghem be incorporated , yes
Can it do vector analysis, yes
Can it do xor key mapping and computation using image processing, yes
Can it localize flash parameters and help compute,yes
Can it re-arrange flash image and export the same to be used with R-Studio, dream ,yes.
Will it be ever updated and maintained, questionable.
Will it have a hardware, I don't think so. I guess most can use 809H or SVOD4 etc.

Will it have infra to provide support to clients ,if any. Nah, firstly, very difficult to firstly keep it ever updated with latest NAND devices support. Who has the time and who want dis-satisfied customers and a spoilt name by promising something technologically and never keeping it.

Will I and Sourcerer make any profits financially from this? NOPE
Will knowledge be the profit to both of us, YES! (atleast me, he is God)

Is it a competition to Rusolut or 3k, I don't think so. Not even remotely.

So yea, one can say a tool that may help learn the concepts of flash recoveries before doing a heavy investment.

As selfish gains: A tool that helps me build my own concepts and possibly a good resume to present to top tier colleges in India for an admission in masters course post GATE examinations. Frankly there are many things to explore and sticking to DR all my life will be waste of time.

Most importantly, getting opportunities to interact with my mentor and learn under him many things that books JUST WONT.
Getting my hands dirty.

Any one who can contribute and share same transparent mindset is most welcome to pitch in.
--

PostPosted: September 12th, 2022, 11:30 

very kewl!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2022, 17:17 

thanks, the work is resumed. We will keep you guys updated.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2022, 21:02 

Looks nice, I was writing one of these as well, but got sidetracked. I chose JAVA which may have been a bad choice as I couldn't get much speed out of it. Do you have any demos or anything shareable?

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2022, 16:33 

Hello there sir. Currently, we are still brain storming about a few things. Please correct me if I am wrong sir. I guess Rusolut itself is based on Java?

No demos so far. We will share stuff really soon. Just a few personal commitments here and there always delays the agenda.
--

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2022, 18:28 

sin wrote:
Hello there sir. Currently, we are still brain storming about a few things. Please correct me if I am wrong sir. I guess Rusolut itself is based on Java?
--

I find that hard to believe.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2022, 18:29 

Posted twice, no idea why.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2022, 19:57 

I think Rusolut is C++, but this is in my head from years ago.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2022, 5:12 

well, i am not sure either. I am just guessing as I see the word Byte Helper couple of times in the log that is displayed on bottom side of the screen if explored/clicked on.

Isn't byte helper a class that is used with Java? May be some other languages too(go lang etc)?

I am just wild guessing its java and I can be 100% wrong.

--

PostPosted: November 24th, 2022, 15:09 

i guess java would be very inefficient for such sw, wouldn't it?
:)

PostPosted: November 24th, 2022, 15:21 

I can't imagine why any developer of such tools would even consider Java (an interpreter?), unless there was an overriding need for portability and platform independence. However, my understanding is that these tools are computationally intensive, so their authors would really be aiming for native executable code.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2022, 21:46 

You would be surprised what is built in Java. I worked on a train management system that was all Java. Albeit a terrible choice as we were always overcoming really horrible situations that wouldn't have been so bad in other languages. For things that are mostly GUI, then Java isnt so bad. But for NAND Viewer where GUI is minimal, and data/disk access is more important, there is better. But on the whole, it doesn't matter a whole lot what language, you always have ways to overcome shortcomings.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2022, 22:22 

I'm no programmer, but I would have thought that a compiler would comprehensively beat an interpreter. Just as an exercise, I wrote some FreeBasic code which performed the same computationally intensive task as a Python script. The speed difference was about 200x in favour of FreeBasic. That said, I understand that compilers exist for Python, and after a little reading I found that Java code can be compiled during run-time (I'm still trying to get my head around that).

BTW, I tried to speed up sections of my FreeBasic code using ASM, but the speed improvement was surprisingly marginal. This suggests that the FB compiler produces very efficient machine code.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2022, 22:40 

JIT compiler as I understand it means Just In Time compiler, which compiles then executes. Most programmers just use libraries to do what they want and don't investigate other speed enhancements unless necessary, I mean absolutely necessary. I agree that FB is pretty good. I am guessing that performace is lost when Coders use bloated libraries, or just bad programming in general. Good programming is not that easy

PostPosted: November 25th, 2022, 4:20 

- once i was playing with DCT routines, using borland C, then i decided to write the same in ASM, optimized for pentium (yes, it was that age :) . the speed difference was about ten fold. It was still 16bit code under DOS, so i turned the thing into 32bit and gained another 10% (it wasn't running under any OS, just switched to protected mode and back at the end).
- another time i wrote a prog that was looking after NTFS file records (first, later it was extended to other FSes), it put file names into Borland VCL component TStringList. It was still in the age of low amounts of memory, and i noticed that after about 100k file records found it consumed about 100MB of ram, so i began tracking it and found that about 1k was allocated for each file name. So i wrote a component to store the names in, which eventually used the amount of ram it needed (it reallocated mem 2 times the actual amount when got full), but ram usage drastically dropped to a few MB for similar amount of files.

these were old compilers, modern ones might work better but i still think that the main consideration is speed of development and not code efficiency. Let the user buy better hw if the sw does not perform well enough...
:s

pepe

PostPosted: December 4th, 2022, 9:17 

For nand flash data recovery, it is necessary to create some utilities. As long as you are exposed to enough cases, you will find that many cases cannot be solved with one tool. At this time, multiple tools are needed. However, commercial tools have their own advantages and limitations. At this time, it is particularly important to write your own tools. The premise is that your knowledge structure is solid enough. The binary bitmap tool can help me confirm whether the chip reads correctly, whether there is interference or whether the voltage setting is abnormal. Let me adjust in time at the beginning. You can see whether there are bad bytes, judge the ECC structure, and quickly select the appropriate layout. You can also check whether XOR is correct and verify the correctness of chip parameters
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... ZlQtGdWjPN

PostPosted: December 4th, 2022, 15:16 

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNFlvPNdIFbUH3scdzm6yj2f1FJkOZlQtGdWjPN

"The requested URL was not found on this server."