All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: PCB for conversion of USB HDD to SATA interface (Free)
PostPosted: February 27th, 2023, 22:01 

good news! Anyone can DIY for USB HDD conversion to SATA adapter. Since I've been busy recently (development, debugging for
Monolith's data recovery equipment) so only 2 models (WD-810035, WD-800067) have been tested and can work normally. I'll create more when I'm done with work.
How to use?
1: Remove the 4 capacitors connecting the USB-SATA controller to the HDD controller
2: Use an electric soldering iron to attach solder to the pad via holes marked E71/E72/E73/E75 on the PCB and the GND and +5V pads. It is recommended to use low-temperature solder. If you can buy alloy solder containing bismuth and indium, That's the best option.
3: Align the adapter with the edge of the PCB and the screw holes, and screw on the original screws.
4: Apply flux, use a soldering iron to attach the melted solder to the hole on the pad of the adapter, the adapter will be combined with the HDD circuit board
5: Use the diode position of the multimeter, the red test lead points to GND, and the black test lead points to the soldered pad. If everything is normal, it should display a value in the range of 0.35-0.45.

Attachments:
67.png
67.png [ 20.76 KiB | Viewed 12262 times ]
35.png
35.png [ 21.05 KiB | Viewed 12262 times ]
WD-810035-000.zip [31.21 KiB]
Downloaded 188 times
WD-800067-001.zip [39.54 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times

Post subject: Re: PCB for conversion of USB HDD to SATA interface (Free)
PostPosted: February 27th, 2023, 23:42 

PCB thickness 0.8MM-1.0MM!0.8MM is the best :o

Attachments:
810035.png
810035.png [ 320.23 KiB | Viewed 12237 times ]

PostPosted: February 28th, 2023, 11:34 

csava wrote:
4: Apply flux, use a soldering iron to attach the melted solder to the hole on the pad of the adapter, the adapter will be combined with the HDD circuit board
pogo pin?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2023, 22:47 

SRUTSSSSSSSS80 wrote:
csava wrote:
pogo pin?

no need for pogo pin :wink:

PostPosted: March 18th, 2023, 11:08 

Very Well :) I will surely try to get this fabricated and post results!

Good work.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2023, 20:52 

New update, draws a total of seven different versions I could find, replaced with new connector package, re-uploaded all gerber files

Attachments:
810033-001.png
810033-001.png [ 20.78 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
810012-000.png
810012-000.png [ 20.32 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
810003-001.png
810003-001.png [ 19.98 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
800069-001.png
800069-001.png [ 52.93 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
800067-001.png
800067-001.png [ 19.97 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
800041-003.png
800041-003.png [ 19.87 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
800035-000.png
800035-000.png [ 20.66 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]

PostPosted: June 25th, 2023, 20:55 

Some boards are tested, but not fully tested

Attachments:
810035-000.zip [30.01 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times
810033-001.zip [29.3 KiB]
Downloaded 116 times
810012-000.zip [28.52 KiB]
Downloaded 116 times
810003-001.zip [29.21 KiB]
Downloaded 119 times
800069-001.zip [31.94 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times
800067-001.zip [30.08 KiB]
Downloaded 123 times
800041-003.zip [29.93 KiB]
Downloaded 124 times

PostPosted: June 25th, 2023, 21:20 

Please note that some of the circuit board designs violate the differential pair routing rules, but this is unavoidable. If I satisfy one of the rules, I will violate the other. After careful consideration, the current state is the best I can achieve, and it has been tested to work well. I suspect this is due to the relatively short length of the transmission lines.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2023, 23:24 

csava wrote:
Please note that some of the circuit board designs violate the differential pair routing rules, but this is unavoidable. If I satisfy one of the rules, I will violate the other. After careful consideration, the current state is the best I can achieve, and it has been tested to work well. I suspect this is due to the relatively short length of the transmission lines.

Hi,
Any Good Gerber View Software You Recommend were we can flip a 3d image of a pcb in all degree

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: June 25th, 2023, 23:59 

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
csava wrote:

Hi,
Any Good Gerber View Software You Recommend were we can flip a 3d image of a pcb in all degree

From what I know, any PCB design software can easily flip and mirror PCB files. However, when it comes to Gerber files, they are manufacturing files that contain the necessary layers for PCB production, such as manufacturing stack-up files, drill coordinate files, solder mask coordinate files, netlist files, and so on. Altium Designer allows for the separate import of different layers, which can then be manually assembled into a PCB file.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2023, 16:13 

Analog electronics is a tradeoff business.. if it works and it works..Forget the DRC.

What sort of pins do you use to act as interconnects between hdd pcb and adapter?

I would like to point what sort of DRC information do we already have for pre existing adapters? Did any one bother to check? NADA :)

--

PostPosted: June 26th, 2023, 19:34 

If the adapter and the hard drive circuit board are perfectly aligned in the Z-axis direction, solder can flow downward through the through-hole pads onto the via of the hard drive circuit board, completing the soldering process. That's why I chose low-temperature solder because it doesn't require the use of a hot air rework station; you can accomplish it with just an electric soldering iron. You can think of it as a manual BGA work. :lol:

PostPosted: June 29th, 2023, 9:06 

csava wrote:
If the adapter and the hard drive circuit board are perfectly aligned in the Z-axis direction, solder can flow downward through the through-hole pads onto the via of the hard drive circuit board, completing the soldering process. That's why I chose low-temperature solder because it doesn't require the use of a hot air rework station; you can accomplish it with just an electric soldering iron. You can think of it as a manual BGA work. :lol:

Well,
Sin is sending me few pcb i do have low melt solder ,But i am of the opinion to remove board we need to desolder and then solder desolder solder desolder and solder desolder :mrgreen:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: June 29th, 2023, 16:20 

In general the characteristic impedance of SATA is 100Ohms, right?
Would PCB thickness affect the characteristic impedance?
Just trying to gain some AD mixed systems insight if you are willing to share with our usecase.

Thanks
--

PostPosted: June 29th, 2023, 19:03 

sin wrote:
In general the characteristic impedance of SATA is 100Ohms, right?
Would PCB thickness affect the characteristic impedance?

I plugged some numbers into this calculator and found that the PCB thickness does have an appreciable effect on the impedance.

https://impedance.app.protoexpress.com/?appid=UNDPIMPCAL

PostPosted: June 30th, 2023, 8:08 

Excellent. Can you please try for a double layered pcb with differential pair on each side..That way the FR4 board would certainly act as a dielectric.
we have two differential pairs here ie 4 wires 2^2 +2 combinations in all.(2=1 both on each side +1 both on other side.)
--

PostPosted: July 1st, 2023, 11:51 

When designing a 4-layer PCB, I use ATT2001 for impedance calculations. However, ATT2001 does not support impedance calculations for 2-layer PCBs. I believe the main reason is the lack of a ground (GND) or power plane as a reference. Calculating impedance requires considering the PCB stack-up design, different layers, and materials, including trace widths. In my case, I'm using a 2-layer board. If I use the bottom layer's GND as the reference plane, due to the layer stack-up, it is far from the top signal layer. According to calculations, the trace width would need to be around 22 mils to match a 100-ohm impedance, which is clearly impractical. However, in actual scenarios, impedance is not the most critical factor for signal quality in mid-to-low-speed signal transmission. In practical testing, as long as the distances are kept short and the differential lines are approximately the same length, the circuit can function properly.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2023, 13:44 

well, my 2 cents are that it does not really matter in this case, if wires worked, this should work as well. Nobody has ever considered impedance when soldered wires and it worked, even without coupling caps. Perhaps at 3 or 6 Gbps (sata II or III), but for DR, you can limit port speed to 1.5Gbps without significant loss of transfer rate, coz platter to buffer xfer rarely approaches 200MB/s anyway. Surely not on 2.5" drives...

pepe

PostPosted: July 1st, 2023, 14:25 

well, my 2 cents: it does not really matter in this case. If wires worked, this should work as well. Nobody has ever considered impedance when soldered wires and it worked, even without coupling caps. These boards look far better than wire knots. Perhaps at 3 or 6 Gbps (sata II or III), but for DR, you can limit port speed to 1.5Gbps without significant loss of transfer rate, coz platter to buffer xfer rarely approaches 200MB/s anyway. Surely not on 2.5" drives...

pepe

PostPosted: July 1st, 2023, 15:10 

Excellent Stuff OP and PEPE.

OP please check DM.
--