In-depth technology research: finding new ways to recover data, accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust.

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...
Post a reply

Re: DEEPSPAR VS The Atola Insight

November 5th, 2008, 1:27

falther wrote:For the profs: When will a sector be reallocated?
I have a drive which produces a SMART error at starting the PC
The same drive will not be tested from a tool because of SMART error.
I start a media scan (different tool) and one media error was reported.
I start the reallocation test and no reallocation was made.
I define the range of the error and run it again - no reallocation made.
I start MHDD - no SMART error shown, no media error shown

May (I) one ask for measuring standards?
Nevertheless its our or our customers data.

I'm sure you can fail a SMART test based on the number of sectors that have already been reallocated. If the drive itself is saying SMART failure then for gods' sake back up your data and throw it away. Why gamble your data against the $50 it would cost to get a new drive???

November 5th, 2008, 5:51

3 pages of posts, and is anyone actually have a clearer perception of whether deepspar or atola insight is better? Personally I would vote on Atola simply because of the many features, but I have not used it to give a honest opinion, yet I have used Deepspar, and it is very good, and very fast, but Im not entirely impressed...

November 5th, 2008, 5:57

I don't think its fair to compare the two. They both have different objectives. Deepspar is just for cloning. A better comparision would be PC3000 and Atola. (I think Atola must just come out on top but it may take another 2 years)

Deepspar should be compared with Data Extractor/Data Compass and YEC Ninja.

November 5th, 2008, 6:02

Well how about a comparison between Deepspar and Data Compass? Or maybe between deepspar and the ninja? There seems to be a lot of talk here regarding the Ninja.

November 5th, 2008, 6:04

Actually, looking at the brochure for the ninja, and reading reviews about it here, it looks pretty darn good :D

November 5th, 2008, 6:08

I'm thinking of getting a few. Save a lot of space. Some people are really happy with it.
Post a reply