All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Re: new product from salvation data called data compass
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 14:48 

Demonstration video and case studies are now available from

http://www.computersciencelabs.com/products_displayB.php?Product=16&Category=7

Pre-orders are now being taken

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 16:58 

If you really want to sell this to the people then produce some movies larger than 1 inch and include some new content. Make a good quality movie and take your time. Produce some movies for each hard drive brand and show why this product is superior for failures not recoverable by other products. Rehashing known facts and presenting poor quality videos is not the best way to show the quality of a product. To me, it shows that this product was rushed to market and poorly executed.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 21:19 

A more direct link is - use a download manager to get it. http://www.computersciencelabs.com/Video/DataCompassPromoF4.flv

It does judder on scene changes which will give very bad pixelation on some players.

Yes make demos that include more drive makes and problems. Having just one or two is not a good promotion.

Salvation may need to repromote to sell again, as many here thinks salvation sell beta units. Well made videos will show if your units are beta or not, and promote your products further. Not just for salvation but every manufactures promotions.

Do make your flv videos that do not glitch/stutter from scene to scene or on mouse clicking. Update your screen cappture software or get a better one. Giving direct links to the flv file will be better for your sales. After all who can see detail in a flash video presntation that is a few inches in size. Let customers download the flv they can play it back on their desktop flv enabled players, such as video lan client (vlc).

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 22:27 

hmmm not to sure with this data compass as they are only showing certain drives for recovery.
unit going to be in beta test for a very longtime im thinking now

it looks good on paper yes for sure but as there been no proof of what it can really do

allso unanswed qeastions from them which means something is up

and that ComputerScienceLabs is a partner with salvation data to push there hardware machines and training nothing more

as for the video is very poor quality and you need a better webcam

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 22:57 

I have to admit, it looks nice. However, due to personal experience with Salvation's tools, I won't be getting it. If only they'd spend their time fixing existing tools instead of cranking out new ones that aren't ready to sell. Too bad, because it really does look nice, and makes lots of promises.

I suspect it SHOULD be in Beta a long time, but I think the Beta will actually start when they start selling them. I also suspect they will be selling them sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 20:17 

So its not if the video was better, although that would help. And its not because they don't test many drives in different sittuations, again it would certainly help in deciding.

You are worried because of your past experiences with salvation tools. And you don't want to be fooled into doing their beta testing again. On products that are maybe not fit for their intended use.

What if there were many good quality videos of many drives, showing differing drive problems being fixed. Would this start at least to sway you in the direction. Ok I don't know, but at least it would be a start in the right direction. After all its a new product they are trying to promote, so far badly.

And while salvation are at it, they should do the same for all their other products. To gain more customers awarness for every product they sell, and abilities.

Yes salvation do host all your product videos for each product. Both on salvationdata and other reseller sites in different countries, with local monetry value. Would this put a higher price on each product, it shouldn't do, time will tell. Will this make there products better, will it could but we could tell, possibly from their yet to be made good quality videos.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 22:59 

What would sway me would be for them to come out with updates to their existing products, so that they are usable. From my perspective, they come out with nice-looking products, make nice promises, but the tool itself is so buggy it's not usable. They come out with one or two minor fixes, but they are still not addressing the serious fundamental issues. Then, they come out with new products. If I got their new imager, I'd expect exactly the same thing... Something unusable, and never fixed. After all, they got my money. Profit comes from making new tools to sell, not fixing the old ones. If I got their imager, it would sit on the shelf, and I would kick myself, because I knew how it would end. I'd have to be really stupid to get one. Actually, I believe the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. I'd literally have to be crazy to expect their new imager to be acceptable.

If Salvation was the kind of company that put out great products that worked well, and fixed any issues that came up, I'd feel confident buying it. Then again, if they were that kind of company, Ace would be worried. It's really aggravating, they came almost all the way, and if they just did a LITTLE bit more work, their products could be great. Maybe it's a cultural thing, different expectations. There is no sense of quality in the software.

Another interesting measure is that I seriously doubt there will ever be any bootleg versions of their products.

And here ends my Salvation rant for the week :)

PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 3:59 

I really hope data compass is good, otherwise the money I was saving for my girlfriends wedding dress would have gone down the pan, and I will probably be single. Saying that, if it is the best solution available, I still don't think she will be understanding.

Umm, what have I done?!.... :roll:

PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 4:10 

Nationwide DR wrote:
I really hope data compass is good, otherwise the money I was saving for my girlfriends wedding dress would have gone down the pan

Your a braver man than me :lol:

PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 5:57 

A girlfriend is always worthen than any piece of hardware or software. Unless SD is going to send their customers girl/boyfriends in bundle with their Data Compass :D ... LOL !!!

Have a nice day !

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 2:55 

Quote:
Another interesting measure is that I seriously doubt there will ever be any bootleg versions of their products.

OH NO! I got thrilled just by imagining about any Bootleg version of any salvation product. Right now, they are more crappy then any crappy bootleg version of any crappy product. How will it be, if it's the bootleg of salvation..

HORRIBLE!!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2008, 4:15 

hmmm so this new data compass only works with fujitsu and hitachi travel star

and nothing else wft

so no seagate or maxtor or western digital modules coming soon

so there marketing is wrong as i dont see any information on the below problems

Specially Aiming at:

Logical Malfunction Partition loss
File corruption Virus Attack
Accidental Disk Format
File Deletion
Physical Malfunction undetected by BIOS or OS
Firmware corruption
Clicking
Physical damage on sectors
Read instability after head

so other meaning you need to purchase there whole package of wd doctor
seagate doctor etc

anyone got there unit yet ??????????????????
and how much you paid for it

at this point im better of with the product from yec ninja

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 14:38 

Hi everyone,

I received my Data Compass Last week I wrote myself a review in a post:

http://forum.hddguru.com/data-compass-from-salvation-data-recovery-t9815.html

Let me know your comments.