All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No new topics are allowed in this forum. Please use other forums to create topics.

Post subject: Re: Clicking Noise? Causes and solutions?
PostPosted: October 24th, 2008, 22:58 

Here are some sounds faulty hard drives make - clicking, whirring, grinding, knocking etc.
Maybe this will help someone diagnose problem they are having.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 21:40 

I have a ibm thinkpad t42p, got it from a friend who forgot the password to the thing. Anyway I found a way to short the amtel security chip to get me into the bios,,and my problems would have been fixed. But before I found out the right two contacts on that atmel chip to short to get into the bios, I had already took magnets and wiped the hard drive with them. Yes what a crazy thing to do, but I figured it was a lost hard drive anyway, and I needed to go buy another one, so no real loss. So here is the question, playing around with the dead hard drive, after close encounters with magnets, the bios would not even recognise the hard drive as being there. But the hard drive would click alot at power on. Now I thought I killed the hard drive, tried all kinds of hard drive utilities,,format tools and more but nothing worked, I guess nothing worked because the bios did not even pick up the hard drive. However finally I found one program in hirens boot cd called test hard drive 1.0 that did say it was there but only listed it as primary master with a starting addr 01F0 but no other info, it also listed my dvd rom with a addr of 0170. I could run a scan of the drive, to show bad sectors, i could get some info on the drive, such as it can run microcode, which im assuming that program used to access it, since the bios had not recognised it at all. My hard drive was a fujitsu model mht2080ah 80 gb. Im thinking when i put magnets near it I wiped info on the drive that the drive used to recognise itself, maybe? So how it it this proggy can scan the drive, show bad sectors and such, even tho its not seen in the bios? And what might I need then to bring that hard drive back to usable form? Remember as it is bios dont detect it, so other programs dont either, except that one I mentioned but it dont have a format or partion ability on it.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 4:00 

Hi,

you have destroyed the servo system on that drive, so unless you have a Servo Track Writer toy you will not be able to restore it :)
(And not even if u had one)

pepe

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 3:04 

Is it possible for a bad head to be sporadic and not test in the positive with diagnostic tools?

I had a clicking Seagate Barracude HD which I replaced and now I have another one in the same RAID. As with the first drive, its sporadic (this morning its fine!). When there is clicking the read speed is exceedingly slow. No SMART or Windows or Seatools diagnostics find faults...

thx...hks

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 12:07 

Well Hello, you are rigiht up my ally today.

i have a seagate barracuda st31000528a2 1 tb 7200rpms, its from a nas unit netgear stora box, it got slipped into my server and poof, she winds up about 6-8 times with some clicking in between, then shuts down. i have a external ide- sata/usb cradle but i cant get it to see the drive at all, when i put in in the stora box and tryed using there soft and firm ware all web based of cousre , it wont let me reset the password, thejackelstora comes up
that box has never touched my network and i just installed the software on my server so theres somthin there.

i dont really care about the stuff on the drive i prefer to wipe it and repartition it for another OS, if its somthin you have ran into before hit me up, i think its in the mbr but netgear doesnt have alot of savvy as far as how to trouble shoot or even reintall there software over a network. seagate hase a few utilitys and i just dl partition magic i just need the room if the HD is trashed its trashed but i dont think so i just cant get any programs i can think of to see it.shes a sata 2 6g hard drive and with all going on in china ugg i dont have 400 bucks to replace it. id really aprriciate it if any of you have dealt with nas HD's might gimmive some hints, im not really good at linux fact thats what i was gonna intal mint 12 lisa. time to learn. but if yall think shes a gonner im not stayin up all night lol

well let me know what you think, i would really appriciate it,,

Thanks Thejackel

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 13:11 

thejackel wrote:
i have a seagate barracuda st31000528a2 1 tb 7200rpms, [...] she winds up about 6-8 times with some clicking in between, then shuts down. i have a external ide- sata/usb cradle but i cant get it to see the drive at all

All of that is consistent with an internal drive fault - whether hardware or firmware corruption, it's not something you could fix easily. If you attach the drive directly via SATA, then you might be able to gather a little more info using MHDD (from this website), but from the behaviour you describe, it's unlikely to change that overall diagnosis.

thejackel wrote:
i dont really care about the stuff on the drive i prefer to wipe it and repartition it for another OS

Therefore, personally, I would give up with that drive. For other drives recently, some other people have suggested you search out a company who could try to refurbish that drive, which may be at a lower cost than buying a new drive, due to recent price increases of new drives (but could you trust the end result?). Your drive, your choice :)

thejackel wrote:
i think its in the mbr

No, it isn't. There is no fault with the MBR which could cause the symptoms you describe.

thejackel wrote:
with all going on in china

I think you mean the flooding (and disruption of disk drive production) in Thailand, not China???

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 13:16 

Is the drive properly plugged in?

PostPosted: February 9th, 2016, 9:38 

:roll:

pepe

PostPosted: July 28th, 2019, 7:10 

Banned User

its is the most annoying sound and I didn't even know how to stop making it this noise...