All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB Heads swap
PostPosted: December 20th, 2022, 17:04 

Hello . I have an question for the expert in head swaps :) . i have one toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB that does clicking noises (heads from heads) forever. . So i will try, for first time, data recover from this disk. i saw that it's easy swap heads from another disk. What is the number that i need to look for,for better compatibility? model MQ01ABD075 750GB will work or need be made in china (not Philippines) and shoud be same rev nr? or the heads on 750 will fit?

Post subject: Re: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB Heads swap
PostPosted: December 20th, 2022, 23:38 

supertronica wrote:
What is the number that i need to look for

The number of local data recovery company. It's your first time, drive has important data, and you want to do it just like that because you saw it looked easy?

PostPosted: December 21st, 2022, 0:03 

First and foremost, if the drive has important data, then I agree with Melvin. Contact a local data recovery company, and have them do it.

If you are doing this to learn, then I encourage you to try. You will most likely not get it the first time, but failing makes us better.

For the best chances of recovery, the things that you need to match up are:
1. The full Model number
2. Country of Manufacture

Generally the more you can match up on the label, the better the chances. Nothing is for certain though.

You will also need a head comb to work with the drive, and a relatively clean work environment, preferably a cleanroom, or Laminar Flow hood.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2022, 9:02 

Sorry i shoud tell the entire story. I have a repair shop/repair lab for eletronic devices. So i'm the guy that replace ssds soldered on mainboard, on a macbok pro for example.
The costomer told me that the data it's relatively importante but never worth the price that a dedicated recovery company take(800$-1500$). So i tell him that if i find the same hard drive i try replace the heads for the price of a new disk and 2 or 3 hours of service. It's what it is.

When you say "1. The full Model number" , including de DRiVE REV ? (revision i think)

PostPosted: December 21st, 2022, 21:51 

I will refer you to the best guide on Matching Donor Drives. https://www.donordrives.com/blog/matching-guide

This is an invaluable resource until you get familiar with what to look for.

I Do Not recommend trying on a customer drive. If you do they should be made aware that recovery chances are slim.

You will need a Head Comb for the head swap. And I strongly urge you to get a small Laminar Flow bench to work on the drive, to ensure the best chances for recovery.

It takes practice and a steady hand to do it. I encourage everyone to try something new.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2023, 23:41 

supertronica wrote:
Sorry i shoud tell the entire story. I have a repair shop/repair lab for eletronic devices. So i'm the guy that replace ssds soldered on mainboard, on a macbok pro for example.
The costomer told me that the data it's relatively importante but never worth the price that a dedicated recovery company take(800$-1500$). So i tell him that if i find the same hard drive i try replace the heads for the price of a new disk and 2 or 3 hours of service. It's what it is.

When you say "1. The full Model number" , including de DRiVE REV ? (revision i think)

We are based in Portugal and have special psrtner prices. For that model way below that range.