WD HD Doctor Can't Read Drive Firmware or ROM Modules
Posted: September 15th, 2013, 22:46
I have a WD20EARX 2.0 TB Hard Dirve that would spin up fine, but the heads did not move at all. I acquired a donor drive that matched the DCM, country of origin, model, and capacity. I did a head swap from the donor to the patient drive with the same result. I then swapped the donor heads back to confirm that they were good.
I then jumpered the WD hard drive into safe mode and hooked it up to the WD HD Doctor. I am running the net version of 7.5. When I power up the hard drive I am unable to load anything from the drive, test the heads or basically do anything. The drive does spin up. I then hooked the donor hard drive (which was tested at the start of this process to ensure it would read/write and it did) and I was unable to load anything from that drive either.
I have two questions:
1) What am I doing wrong that I can't load anything from these drives?
2) What would commonly cause the drive to spin up, be recognized by the BIOS, but not move the heads at all? How do I fix that?
Thanks for your help!
I then jumpered the WD hard drive into safe mode and hooked it up to the WD HD Doctor. I am running the net version of 7.5. When I power up the hard drive I am unable to load anything from the drive, test the heads or basically do anything. The drive does spin up. I then hooked the donor hard drive (which was tested at the start of this process to ensure it would read/write and it did) and I was unable to load anything from that drive either.
I have two questions:
1) What am I doing wrong that I can't load anything from these drives?
2) What would commonly cause the drive to spin up, be recognized by the BIOS, but not move the heads at all? How do I fix that?
Thanks for your help!