Poll ended at August 7th, 2019, 1:55
Keep trying to find footage 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Contact hdd manufacturer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tell clients the footage is lost 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Shoot myself 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Hdd recovery
PostPosted: January 19th, 2019, 1:55 

I produce film/videos for a living and have a studio in which i edit. Recently I filmed an event and have had the files on an external hdd for a few months until recently i have not been able to locate those files. There is no trace and i know for sure i have not deleted those files. I used a software called “recuva” to check each external i have and the files did not show up at all. I have manually searched each folder on all drives and still no sign. I know these files were on a drive because i have played it on my system for the clients. I really need help with this, we are talking about atleast 1.5tb of footage that left without a trace, i can account for all other footage from different projects even months before this project and even projects done after. Please help with some solutions

Post subject: Re: Hdd recovery
PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 17:21 

I can confirm this kind of defect with sgt drives. I stumbled upon it a couple of times, but I never got the chance for figuring out what was the real problem and what kind of related issues were actually involved in those cases.
It matches a real scenario though.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 12:54 

i know this sounds strange,but maybe its windows/microsoft's fault...

i often read that when updating, some files can go missing...and u cant get them back..not sure thou if this is the case,but it could be?

EDIT:Sorry, i didnt see the "external"...forget my post..

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 17:57 

I faced that scenario a couple of times and it was on sgt drives, perhaps same family but i'm not sure at all, it happened years ago, and both of the cases with a gap of few months one another. Both the customers decided not to recover their files and got their drives back, but i'd be so curious to hear more about this kind of issues that i had totally forgot about before reading this topic.

Anyone else faced the same situation?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 3:46 

Please try to check drive for hardware problems (do not try do it yourself). May be data still there.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 3:55 

Iurii wrote:
Please try to check drive for hardware problems (do not try do it yourself). May be data still there.

How do i do that?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2019, 10:00 

If data is really so important, why don't you contact a REAL DR guy?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2020, 13:55 

livetheenergy wrote:
I faced that scenario a couple of times and it was on sgt drives, perhaps same family but i'm not sure at all, it happened years ago, and both of the cases with a gap of few months one another. Both the customers decided not to recover their files and got their drives back, but i'd be so curious to hear more about this kind of issues that i had totally forgot about before reading this topic.

Anyone else faced the same situation?

Yes, I had a similar case last week. Videographer had a wd external with tons of events. When he opened a folder to edit, the folder containing the audio files was empty. Luckily, he had sent these files to someone a few days prior via WeTransfer and was able to download them. No explanation to why they disappeared.

Then the very next day he noticed the same thing on a different external, this time it was folder 001 of a wedding. Folder containing the bride preparations was empty. Recovery software did not find the files.

He checked entire drive for other missing files but everything else seemed ok. Drives had no errors or bad sectors and were not that old, maybe two years.

Mystery.