All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD10EADS-Kermit Case Study
PostPosted: October 29th, 2018, 12:15 

Hello, Today I rx a WD10EADS Kermit. Attached is the rom. The drive has went through many hands in Mumbai through computer dealer network but unfortunately they could not solve it.

The symptom on connecting the drive were 3-4 clicks and stop with DRD DSC ERR ABT on DFL.
On examining the ROM, the Regions were gone kaput. All the mods looked pretty much okay except the regions had gone kaput.

So a backup of the original rom code was taken (it is attached here for reference). A donor rom of same uC was flashed only to get DRD DSC ERR ABT again but this time the head map was totally different than the original ROM (which meant some one tried to switch on head 0 and 1 un necessarily out of inexperience, while the donor rom head map started physical head 3 onwards 7.)

Head number 5 was found to be error some and non working.

SA was backed up from primary heads of this series. Relo was full, it was cleared and slow read fix was done manually with mod checksum.

The donor rom had identical microcode to that of the original rom and the 11 number module reflected near same.

So it was decided to reflash the donor rom and take the case to deepspar

on deepspar the drive was deteting as 0GB capacity while clicking and stopping.

Head Map edit in RAM was done on DeepSpar and head 5 was switched off in the RAM and the drive got detected from the primary heads.

Full Imaging of the hard drive is now done with all data except head 5 and the client is ok with 20% loss as compared to obnoxious charges which DR labs were charging to change heads and not even guarantying ANY data post transplant.

It is fun to solve spoilt and this forum always keeps me motivated to write case studies.
Thankyou all

Special thanks to DeepSpar for securing our back and love you Serge for providing us an extremely outstanding imager. I must admit, DeepSpar has changed our fortune and DFL as a tool for what ever it is has put food on my plate.

--

Attachments:
Original ROM to examine.rar [176.19 KiB]
Downloaded 1068 times

Post subject: Re: WD10EADS-Kermit Case Study
PostPosted: October 29th, 2018, 17:14 

You are welcome sir.

I have missed out on some points here which is how to access SA etc which I believe are useless as most of the people know how to do it with WD drives.

Thanks