Switch to full style
Discussions related to HddSurgery products
Post a reply

WANTED: Seagate 7200.8 400gb HDD Contoller PCB

January 15th, 2021, 11:43

Hi, All,

I have a Seagate 7200.8 that is not spinning. I have continuity checked the diodes on the board, and none are shorting - and that is about the limit of my expertise. The power is on; the head tries to 'track' on the platter, but is prevented by the air-operated 'safety-catch', which appears to operated by the airflow from the spinning disks, and so it just click-click-clicks against the catch. The heads are moveable, and so is the platter-stack, so nothing is seized.

What I want to do is to swap out the PCB (where I believe the problem to be) for a replacement so that I can recover the data.

To that end, does anyone one out there have (or know where I might obtain) a controller PCB for;

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 400GB
Model no. ST3400832A
Part no. 9Y7485-066
Firm ware 3.03
Date code 06135
Site Code TK

Any help would be really appreciated. I know it is an old HDD (and would normally be written off), however there are many 'brownie-points' to be earned with a very cute girl :wink: :lol:

Cheers for your time

Waltheof

Re: WANTED: Seagate 7200.8 400gb HDD Contoller PCB

January 15th, 2021, 13:12

99% it is not a pcb problem. More probably heads are bad and they do not kick the latch, rather just try to seek and then park, which is a kind of clicking.
Have you disassembled the HDA?

pepe

Re: WANTED: Seagate 7200.8 400gb HDD Contoller PCB

January 17th, 2021, 6:41

Hi, Pepe,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "kick the latch".

The heads sit inboard (on the inside circumference) on the platter, and are physically incapable of opening the air-catch which the pivot end of the head-arm sits against. There is an air-channel alongside the platter which directs air onto the air-catch which the releases the head-arm.

As a mechanical engineer I can see how the air-catch works, and understand that it is there to secure the head-arm in the parked position if the platter is not spinning.

As I said in my original post - the platters do not spin-up when power is applied; which suggests an electronic problem rather than a mechanical one.

I appreciate your time in thinking about my problem, and if you have any suggestions I'd be grateful.

All the best.

Cheers
Post a reply