Today, 9:04
Subject : Seagate ST3500413AS 500GB 7200.12 – ST_M13FQBL / QNR_BFW / 3.86GB Fake Ready, Serial Port Error Reading Sys Files
Hello everyone,
I am working on a client data-recovery case involving a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drive.
Drive details:
Model: ST3500413AS
Capacity: 500 GB
P/N: 9YP142-303
Firmware printed on label: JC45
Date Code: 11442
Site Code: TK
Product of Thailand
The drive powers up and the motor initially spins, but then stops and the drive appears to become Ready/Idle.
I am using MRT Ultra / Seagate F3.
MRT correctly identifies the family as:
3F – Pharaoh [7200.12]
However, MRT reports:
Model: ST_M13FQBL
Serial: QNR_BFW
Firmware: 03171104
Capacity: 8089950 sectors (3.86 GB)
This is obviously not the actual 500 GB capacity.
Current MRT terminal output
After power-up, MRT shows:
Identifying device...
model: ST_M13FQBL firmware version:03171104 serial number:QNR_BFW
Identifying device...
model: ST_M13FQBL firmware version:03171104 serial number:QNR_BFW
Getting service area size......
Service area size : ....................0x72006D
Getting list of sys files......
Serial port error!
After this there is no useful F3 terminal prompt.
I have also tried Ctrl+Z, but it does not produce a usable terminal prompt.
Serial/COM setup
MRT is connected through a Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter on COM4.
Windows Device Manager reports:
Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4)
This device is working properly.
So the Windows COM4 device itself appears to be functioning.
Interestingly, MRT is able to communicate sufficiently with the drive to obtain the model/firmware/serial information and the SA size 0x72006D, but communication fails specifically when MRT attempts:
Getting list of sys files
ROM
I also attempted to backup/read the ROM through MRT, but the ROM backup failed.
I have not written anything to the patient drive.
I have not:
formatted SA
recalculated translator
written firmware
written ROM
initialized SA
performed destructive firmware operations
because this is a client's original data and I want to avoid making the situation worse.
What I would like advice on
What would be the correct diagnostic/recovery procedure from this point?
Specifically:
Does ST_M13FQBL / QNR_BFW / 3.86 GB on an original ST3500413AS indicate a known 7200.12 fake-ready / SA-access condition?
Since MRT can obtain SA size 0x72006D but fails at “Getting list of sys files – Serial port error”, is this more likely a serial communication/configuration issue or an SA/head/firmware-access problem?
What is the correct way to obtain a patient ROM backup when MRT's normal ROM backup fails?
Should I investigate heads/SA access first, or is there a safe MRT procedure such as Virtual Start appropriate for this condition?
Is there a specific F3 terminal/BootCode procedure that should be attempted before considering firmware repair?
Are there any known procedures for this exact ST3500413AS / ST_M13FQBL / QNR_BFW condition?
I am specifically looking for a non-destructive data-recovery procedure rather than a firmware repair intended simply to make the drive operational.
Any guidance from someone experienced with Seagate F3 / 7200.12 / MRT would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Today, 9:08
If the PCB/ROM chip is original (you can verify this via the serial number), the heads are most likely damaged.