Switch to full style
General discussions, chit-chat
Post a reply

Eternal 5D data storage could record the history of humanity

February 16th, 2016, 12:40

http://www.orc.soton.ac.uk/962.html

Re: Eternal 5D data storage could record the history of huma

February 16th, 2016, 17:03

Yeah, they've also now got a way to write binary code into DNA for "storage". But it's all just theoretical and costs millions of dollars per Kb to use. When someone announces development of a consumer storage device spec'd with the technology, then I'll start paying attention.

February 17th, 2016, 8:12

I do agree with the costs part, but I can't stop being amazed with this kind of technology research.

What knowledge must one have (and resources ofc) to come up with this idea ? Tech research is so awesome in this fields...

February 17th, 2016, 9:34

I was in JB-HiFi electronics store and was amazed at image on the new TVs, not that I watch any.. but think of what it was like only 40 years ago!! truly amazing. I agree with both of you, in one way, unless it is on the shelf it is just a wow! factor, but in another, the places the research leads is incredible

February 17th, 2016, 14:20

That's great and all and everything and stuff. But will the technology to retrieve it be as long lived? And when can I get it at Wal-Mart?

Meantime we have crystalline storage in the form of semiconductor flash memory. It's just not glamorous.
Post a reply