All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Results of the D.I.Y (Do It Yourself) solutions.
PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 16:26 

Spildit wrote:
Regards.

i like u =)

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 23:37 

Banned User

How to extend system partition in Windows 7/Vista/XP, Server 2003/2000 and Server 2008?

As applications continue to be installed into the Windows system, suddenly one day find the system partition do not have enough free disk space, and when every time the system starts, Windows always prompts the following information:

You are running out of disk space on SYSTEM (C:), To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here…

[link removed by moderator]

PostPosted: April 5th, 2010, 3:53 

Salvation Data is spamming again... Very clever.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 13:31 

maysoft wrote:
Salvation Data is spamming again... Very clever.

Lol

Master They Have it all Over the Net ,this solution :lol:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: July 15th, 2010, 1:31 

Hi everybody,

I'd like to post my humble opinion.

I'm not an HDD guru, anything farther from that, so, I'm a newbie. Yes, that I am. :)

I've registered right today, which doesn't means that today I've found you through Google. No, I was looking for Dmitriy since a while because I was using MHDD, and finally found this great forum community.

I personally feel sorry asking "newbies"/silly questions; I like reading and that's what I did, however I also have a job and not all the time in the world to read every post on this forum, so, I've used the search engine.
Sadly, it doesn't works quite well because I needed to use results searching *really wide* terms as "erase" and "delays" (or "AMNF", or whatever).

Fortunately I've found a place where my newbie question felt comfortable to others and they were helping me (thanks a lot for that guys!).

When reading all this post I felt FALTHER's messages quite offensive to people like me: newbies.
Agree 100% with Dmitriy on the point that "people screaming for HELP" doesn't abound and that's good. All we know that some other forums are plagued of that kind of people (a way that I really hate).

The posts quantity is a not-reliable "quality" indicator of the pro: it's enough to see that "maysoft" has less than 600 posts and no one will doubt about his knowledge.

Beside this, forcing me to sit and wait to be allowed to ask for something could made me either, read a couple more posts (and just a couple more) or desperate completely and make my world even worst after loosing 300GB of data.

I think you already have a real healthy community and with a lot of knowledge to share (I wish I could do the same). :D

Again, this is a humble opinion from someone who is in the opposite from all of you.
Glad to be read and allowed to coment out. :wink:

Kind regards,
"Pampa"

PostPosted: July 16th, 2010, 2:33 

Allthough I do not know which of my post(s) you referr to, I like the word "offensive".

But, finally I doubt that it does change the behaviour of those "newbies" who dont care
about anything, but their immediate and sole "big problem". It has to be solved now,
and each pro on this forum certainly has to assist immediately and for free.....

Have a look to all those aggressive reactions from "newbies", not receiving the
"very offensive" requested free advice...

If my "offensive" posts let some of these "newbies" correct / modify their behaviour
I am happy.

+++

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 9:40 

May I suggest a bit different viewpoint on DIY approach?

I think I understand the complexity of DR and I fully respect this community. If a broken hard disk contains valuable info, I send it to some DR company for recovery. BUT: I won't send my old hard disk which contains only some unimportant stuff to a DR company. I will try to fix it on my own (I'm even have access for a clean room). There is only one thing that may prevent me from doing it on my own: some expert show me how he would do it. I would even pay for it! You know, I'm a researcher who does try things to learn new stuffs.

I find one issue in DR community quite contradictory: we do not share info with the public as they will misuse it. Who cares? I think making the technical information more publicly available would have a positive effect. Want-for-free guys may realize that it is complicated and no cheap-and-easy way for them. Hobbyist would ask more appropriate questions. You wouldn't have to waste you valuable time to reverse engineer info which should be public! I hope I'm not missing something...

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 18:57 

@gaboo,

gaboo wrote:
I hope I'm not missing something...

I think that you are missing something, although of course everyone is entitled to their own views.

gaboo wrote:
I'm even have access for a clean room

That is unusual for non-DR professionals who ask for help in the forum. Most advice to new visitors to this forum, cannot include any work that would require a clean room (or equivalent).

gaboo wrote:
There is only one thing that may prevent me from doing it on my own: some expert show me how he would do it.

With respect, no, that is not the only thing. In many cases, specific tools (e.g. head combs), equipment (e.g. PC-3000), sometimes other proprietary software, are needed for successful recovery, in addition to the knowledge (know-how) that you mention, of how to use the tools & equipment etc.

gaboo wrote:
I would even pay for it! You know, I'm a researcher who does try things to learn new stuffs.

Wanting to learn new things is great - but do not under-estimate the value (to the DR pros) of that knowledge (often self-taught at great expense in terms of time, and sometimes money too), and therefore the amount you would need to pay to get that knowledge from them. Of course you can approach the DR pros directly to discuss your idea and ask how much you would have to pay, for them to teach you.

gaboo wrote:
I find one issue in DR community quite contradictory: we do not share info with the public as they will misuse it. Who cares?

Have a read of this thread, for some discussion on the subject:

diy-what-the-big-deal-t12671.html

gaboo wrote:
I think making the technical information more publicly available would have a positive effect.

Again, this is discussed in the above thread. Depending on where the "technical information" which you mention, has been obtained (many different sources are possible), some people have different views to you.

When you have that type of "trade secret" information, you can choose to distribute it widely if you want to do that, and others will be grateful. :) But if it cost you 6 months of your life to get that info, and if it helps you to put food on your table, would you give it away and hence create more competition (as well as wasting 6 months of your life) and potentially lead to less food on your table? If so, then your altruism is exceptional. :)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2012, 4:47 

@vulcan

Thanks for your reply. I think it helps to understand your viewpoint. I would like reflect only the last paragraph. So, you may find fine detailed records of five years of my research activity at the website of my workplace in form of technical reports, but I don't think that I'm exceptional in sense of altruism. In research it is common that people share their results more or less honestly. Even researchers at for-profit organizations like Microsoft Research publish on their results.

Second, I think if your work for six months and you try to document your findings as precise as possible, you won't be able to share more than 25% to 33% of your knowledge. According to my understanding the knowledge can be divided into information and skills. In case of skills you can't make a shortcut and even to understand information you need some effort. So, that's why I can see the point of keeping trade secrets in long-term.

I'm curious about your opinion on my remarks.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2012, 15:07 

gaboo wrote:
I would like reflect only the last paragraph.

I answered your other points too, so I would not agree to artificially restrict discussion to only some points, if the discussion was continuing - but this is not now important.

gaboo wrote:
So, you may find fine detailed records of five years of my research activity at the website of my workplace in form of technical reports, but I don't think that I'm exceptional in sense of altruism.

I did not say that publishing research was altruism - my example was that if you publish information which took 6 months of your life to gather, where that publishing directly increases your commercial competition (because your competitors can read it), and which therefore affects your ability to put food on your (and your family's) table, that is altruistic. :)

If you are a researcher (as I think you are saying), and so are being paid to perform and publish research, than IMHO that is very different from the situation of a DR company. Such a company is in direct competition with other DR companies, and the ability to differentiate their service offerings (e.g. to create new abilities which result from research, and which become trade secrets), has a direct effect on their commercial success.

Therefore while it might be an interesting intellectual discussion, I politely decline to continue, as my time is limited. I addressed your previous points with my views, having done research leading to both patented and trade-secret uses; you have different views from your different experiences. That's fine, we can agree to disagree. :)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2012, 23:08 

Vulcan wrote:
........we can agree to disagree. :)

..+1....Like this...... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 6th, 2012, 21:15 

Good post, Janos. I'll link to it from my page.

Don

PostPosted: December 15th, 2013, 21:06 

I agree with the content listed. I think something that might apply here is over the head of many who want to even attempt DIY. Aside from my full time data recovery business, I do piano tuning and rebuilding. One of my teachers long ago said the following: What you do know, in the wrong context will hurt you. That said, there does seem to be a psychological attitude with folks and data recovery. Just like many service industries, cost dictates outcomes. Example, in Green Bay, WI where I live there is a person who advertises "Lowest Rates in Town" and "All invoices negotiable." The mentality created is, 'everything technology should be cheap and reasonable.' When a hard drive fails, the expectation is: a) "it's your fault that you did this to it [ because it could never happen on its own ] and b) I paid you $29.95 for an hour of service, it should be the same for my data.

Jason Davies, President
TechRx Inc.
Green Bay, WI

PostPosted: December 16th, 2013, 0:41 

There are simply too many variables, sometimes down to the case level, for any one viewpoint to be the "right" one. For each point in the discussion, each "side" can probably come up with a valid argument on it.

The absolute biggest issue on this whole topic, in my opinion, is that people do not step back, take a look at the other persons situation and try to understand why they did what they did, or said what they said.

If you have a hacker playing around with drives, you should expect they will probably blog about it and write up tutorials, share info etc.. It is what they do..

If you have a 20 year veteran of DR you can expect they have seen many DIY failures and wince each time.

You can also expect different circumstances for people that outsource cleanroom jobs, live in different parts of the world, have different quantities of jobs, do other work and DR is a subset, have different staff levels, different budgets, different levels of "noobness", different motivations(money,fame, fun) etc etc etc..

Anyone trying to make a point gained by citing an individual circumstance or case or trying to group all people involved in DR as "DR pros" or even DIYers... will get counter examples from here to next week.

Not to mention individuals that change with time as well. start hacking drives, have fun, do some courses, make some money, buy some tools, employ some staff, etc.. that may change someone from a "Spildit" to an "Einstein9" - no disrespect to either one, just examples of different characters and motivations.

A mixture of all types is what makes forums like this work. If we all said "hmm yes I agree" it would get boring. Fast.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 18:46 

As for making the technical info more public making things better.... I doubt that very much. 95% of DIY recoveries I see here either made recovery impossible, or tripled the end cost to have it professionally handled.

It's the same reason that surgeons don't generally release how to guides to operate on yourself. While some may legitimately want to try it, that information is likely to cause a lot more harm to the world than do any good.

A little knowledge poorly applied is a dangerous thing. It gives people confidence they shouldn't have.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 23:08 

data-medics wrote:
A little knowledge poorly applied is a dangerous thing. It gives people confidence they shouldn't have.

It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%5FKruger_effect

Your observation applies equally to self-proclaimed data recovery professionals. Would you entrust your precious data to a DR pro who couldn't tell the difference between a Seagate and a Samsung drive, even when it was hooked up to his own PC$10K?

I could just as easily write a book on all the stuff-ups that I've seen by "pros" in this forum and others over the past 5 years. No doubt there are even more examples in the archives. What's more, people would be astounded at the sorts of basic questions that I receive via PM.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 12:44 

You missed the, "Why not run SpinRite, HDD Regenerator and other tools that destroy your hard drive?"

This sounds stupid and is not true at least for me.
Most of the cases - over 90% trying these or similar programmes helps
reading data on other backup devices. Yes you have some lost pictures or files
but that's all. Sometimes disk is not readable and you can not start that procedure.
So there you come the pro which have special rooms,devices etc. where your disk
is split appart. Each plate is put on a special device which costs over 1 million then
read, after that all information from all plates is combined and you have the data.
Then you are charged $4000.
All depends how much valuable is the information in your broken hard.
But saying - You missed the, "Why not run SpinRite, HDD Regenerator and other tools that destroy your hard drive?" is just stupid. Same as saying not to drive bicycle without head protector because you may fall and broke your head. You know the risk and if you like you can take it.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:11 

According to the user, he just "quickly opened the cover to have a look and shut it right away" and did nothing to it...

Hmmm!!...

Attachments:
IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 101311 times ]

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 9:56 

pcimage wrote:
According to the user, he just "quickly opened the cover to have a look and shut it right away" and did nothing to it...

So the fingerprints are yours? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 13:00 

After watching youtube videos, DR is not really that hard. You just need the expensive tools and a few weeks of training. It's not like computer programming where you need 4 years of college.

- Why not perform a platter exchange @ home for DIY?
People in the industry uses scotch tape and cheap 3D printed head tools and they work just fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next